Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I engrave built walls?  (Read 1116 times)

Vessol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armageddon.org
Can I engrave built walls?
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:26:37 pm »

Just a quick question, checked wiki and could not find an answer. If I do not like the quality of a engraved wall can I tear it down and order my dwarves to build a wall with stones or blocks(if that matters) and engrave it again to increase the room quality even more?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Can I engrave built walls?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:29:56 pm »

Nope, sorry.

I think the Tweak utility had an option to engrave a built wall, but I'm not sure if it works with the current version.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:32:08 pm »

You can't... Had to abandon my entirely aboveground castle because I couldn't up the roomvalues enough to keep my nobles happy.  A wall of stones is just like a rough wall (valuewise), when made out of blocks it's the same as a smoothed wall but you can't engrave it. (You can engrave fortifications on either which is weird though...)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:46:07 pm »

You can't... Had to abandon my entirely aboveground castle because I couldn't up the roomvalues enough to keep my nobles happy.  A wall of stones is just like a rough wall (valuewise), when made out of blocks it's the same as a smoothed wall but you can't engrave it. (You can engrave fortifications on either which is weird though...)

Wait, you can engrave constructed fortifications?!
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:52:06 pm »

You can turn constructed walls (rough or smooth) into fortifications. Incidently they keep the floor above them even when turned into fortifications, so you can walk above as well.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:38:05 am »

The key to making aboveground constructions expensive is to make them out of solid gold bricks. Platinum or aluminum if you manage to have enough but that's a bit harder.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:39:42 am »

It would be nice if you could create something like paintings or tapestries that could be hung on constructed walls in place of engravings. Not very dwarven I know, but it could be useful for aboveground forts, especially if you want to play another race like humans.

I guess you could also increase the value of the rooms by replacing walls with gemstone windows.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:42:43 am »

do it the fun way by solidifying some magma in a large mold. that can be engraved.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:38:13 am »

There used to be an exploit where if you engraved the ground, you could build walls on top and keep the engravings as well, but I'm pretty sure that was fixed in the current releases...

On tapestries, ropes have been used to simulate them in some fortresses. A nice giant cave spider silk rope will add a whole bunch of value, especially if dyed and made well. Of course, they are built on floors, not walls, but you do what you can...

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 03:59:25 pm »

If I do not like the quality of a engraved wall can I tear it down and order my dwarves to build a wall with stones or blocks(if that matters) and engrave it again to increase the room quality even more?

To answer the original question:
You could just smooth it and engrave it again.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 04:31:20 pm »

If I do not like the quality of a engraved wall can I tear it down and order my dwarves to build a wall with stones or blocks(if that matters) and engrave it again to increase the room quality even more?

To answer the original question:
You could just smooth it and engrave it again.

You can? Sweeeeet.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.