Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magma traps?  (Read 776 times)

brenbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
magma traps?
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:16:25 pm »

So guys, I have FINALLY made a self sustaining fort. THey can do everything by themselves. I got a wave of immigrants, blah blah blah, plenty of food etc etc. Now... My fort is right next to a river, and plenty of pockets of magma. Lots and lots of magma. Now... with all this magma, and my fort still young, im interested in hearing what kinds of wicked and terrible traps i could make with said magma. No doubt some of you vets know a sadistic trap or two incorperating the stuff..?
And also, if i flood a room with magma will the walls turn to like.. obsidian or something? Becuase that would be pretty awesome. And what do i do about the fire men? My first dog got exploded by a fireball by one of those dudes. Should i just build a floodgate ro keep them out of the fort? Do floodgates even work with magma? <3

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
Re: magma traps?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:23:52 pm »

My favorite is actually collapsable rooms into magma. I mean, the fall would probably kill them anyway, but why not add magma?

You can prevent the magma monsters from coming through magma with a grate or bars made of magma-proof material (see wiki).

The problem with floodgates (the problem with magma control really) is that without mechanisms theyre kinda pointless and you have to use Bauxite mechanisms or they will break. You have similar issues with pumps. 

So without bauxite.. eh.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:26:43 pm by TheDeadlyShoe »
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:38:33 pm »

I have no experience with magma traps, but:

Obsidian is created when water hits magma or vice versa.  Rain won't do it, but diverting some of the river onto it will.

On the issue of pumps, I've had green glass pumps work in magma, so if you have sand, that can be a usable option. (Just use a magma glass furnace, and remember, the magma needs to be at least 4 deep under at least one edge square of the furnace, and that square needs to have no floor.)
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:16 pm »

Also, a fortification (of any material) can take the place of the grate or bars.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

brenbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:44:47 pm »

ah thanks guys. So... do i lead the water to the magma with channels? or should i just mine a path..?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:47:10 pm »

How about operation "Encase in Obsidian"? I don't think it's actually possible, but set up a drowning chamber of sorts, but without a ceiling. Then pour in the magma. See which kills him first!

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:50:01 pm »

Ideally, you'll have a reservoir or water and a reservoir of magma, and tripping a lever will put both in the room. However, I believe steam isn't nearly as lethal as it was in previous versions.

Thinking about it gave me a nifty idea, though.

Reservoir of water, reservoir of magma located above and to the side of the trap room. Pull a lever and the water goes out through a floor hatch, down a channel, and into the room.  Above the channel you have a waterwheel, which is hooked up to a pump above the magma. So as long as the water's flowing out, you get power to pump out magma. 

For a pure steam trap, you could floor a room with lines of grates alternating with solid floor, with a magma pool below. Then just pour water into the room.  The steam might do some immediate damage, and you can just finish filling the thing with water to ensure the kill.

brenbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:04:11 pm »

you guys are sick puppies. I love it.
... but ah.. um.. how do you completely remove a section of floor? The only thing i understand is that a channel mines the ground and the tile below it out. But how would i completely remove a unit of floor, so theres just empty space? Am i supposed to use a channel and put a hatch on that space? is that how it works?  ???

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:10:19 pm »

Nevermind.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:11:03 pm »

You're over thinking it.  Channel kills the floor of level 0, and removes the rock in level -1. Dig removes the rock in level 0. Channeling is how you take out a floor. If you build a wall in level -1 where you had a channel, the floor reappears. Floor is the top section of the tile below.  You can have floor with nothing below it, and you can have floor with something below it, and you can have no floor with nothing below it, but you can't have no floor with something below it.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:14:30 pm by TheDeadlyShoe »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »

Well, if you want to create something really insane, then make a huge room (freaking huge, infact the room should be as big as the map itself, hihi, in all seriousness, i wouldn't try to attempt that with anything bigger then a 2x2 embarking site) Then fill the entire room with a layer of water, shoot for something inbetween 3 and 4 (1's will evaporate), then above this room is another room (better make that many small rooms) filled with a good amount of magma and ofcourse lots and lots of grates hooked up to asmuch levers as there are magmarooms. Its maybe best to put those levers in your leverroom of total and utter awesomeness.
Well, thats what i would do.
If your map is freezing then a similar sort of freezing room can be constructed, ofcourse with magma for keeping the water liquid so that when it falls ontop of whoever dares to siege you, it will be instafeezed. I haven't actually tested it out yet though.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 09:42:49 pm »

This topic makes me wonder if it's possible to encase magma men in obsidian by pouring water directly onto them.