Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Mod, Perchance to Gleam?  (Read 930 times)

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/stultiloquent
To Mod, Perchance to Gleam?
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

So, my question is this.  As I'm a new player, and I'm reading a whole whack of information about Mods and various things that exist to modify what is currently within the game.  From making things more efficient, adding content, to cheating.  

What are your thoughts on Mods?  I've seen a couple of lists of 'must have' mods, but are they must have?  Obviously those who posted them feel they are so.  What is the 'pulse' of the forum when it comes to accepted and very appreciated mods?

Any generalizations I can employ in implementing Mods?  Or should I steer clear?  

In the meantime, I'm going to go back to my untarnished and unmodified game for now...

Peace,

Abax.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: To Mod, Perchance to Gleam?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

I enjoy making mods probably more than actually playing with them.
That said, I mostly play an unmodified version. We need someone to update the wiki page on mods for all the new ones, because there are some quality mods. Check out the 10seconds mods, and lessee... really, it's personal taste as to wether something's a Must Have mod.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

PTTG: Hehe, thanks :P

I recommend playing vanilla first so you know what the game by itself has. Once you've finished a few fortresses or so and want a new challenge, then get some mods. Of course, I'll shamelessly recommend mine (available in my sig). I also recommend Wiles mod too.

But just like PTTG, I kinda enjoy making mods for fun than for anything else. You're not under any obligation to get them.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Modding will be just another level of fun with the next release. A simple tag included in a race  could give unexpected(and fun) results in world generation. I myself will gonna be modding orcs and lizardmen as civs.  :)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

I mostly play the vanilla version, though even if you decide against downloading any major mods, keep in mind that it's still worthwhile to learn the basics of the raws. There are a lot of simple things you can do yourself (removing goblin clothing and tweaking bolt damage being the ones that come first to mind) that can make certain aspects of the game harder/easier/more balanced/less frustrating, depending on your taste.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:05:00 am »

The only mod i realy reccomend is a square tileset.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:52:00 am »

I like modding too, it's a very fun experience.
I like to play "vanilla" races with new items and creatures, and Wiles mod adds really nice variety of wildlife, I shamelessly grabbed his creatures and play with them with other things tweaked by me. However I don't release this as public mod so I think it's not bad to play like this and I really love the Wiles's work.

And in the game where the "modding" is actually just editing of text files it's hard to speak of "unique mods" because anyone can make his own mod without big efforts.
The mods which are worth to be noticed are the ones with unique content (like Sean's custom attacks and bodies) and useful content for vanilla (like umiman's compiled threats and Wiles's creatures).

And I don't think that the bolt damage should be tweaked, it has nice damage. The main problem is the multiple-bodyparts-piercind which can be changed via tweaked body only.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Abaxial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/stultiloquent
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>The only mod i realy reccomend is a square tileset.</STRONG>

Well, I feel good that the only thing I've done so far is to implement a square tileset.  One of the prebuilt ones.  Very nice!

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think I'll stick with vanilla for a while as suggested and then look into some of the 'value added' mods.  

As I eagerly await the next version release of DF.

Peace,

Abax

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>
And I don't think that the bolt damage should be tweaked, it has nice damage. The main problem is the multiple-bodyparts-piercind which can be changed via tweaked body only.</STRONG>

Or by changing bolts from piercing damage to blunt.