Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Younger dwarves (both founding and migrants)  (Read 692 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Younger dwarves (both founding and migrants)
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »

While dwarves can live to be 170, it seems odd that most of the migrants and starting dwarves are all between 50-80 years old. That may be middle-aged for a dwarf, but it seems to me that most migrants and founders should be fairly young. (20s-30s). These would be the dwarves out to make a name for themselves somewhere, and wouldn't necessarily have had time to become masters at their crafts.

I'd expect any 80 year old dwarf to truly be a master at what he does. Certainly any craftsman in my fort who spent even a decade doing the same thing would end up legendary.

It just seems like migrants should default to values closer to the minimum ADULT age for the species, not the middle of the range. A few, sure, but not the majority of them like we get now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:36:56 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Younger dwarves (both founding and migrants)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:22:39 am »

I don't want 12-year-olds in my fort. Someone who hasn't stopped throwing rocks at girls yet shouldn't be migrating halfway across the world to some hole in the ground to make a name for himself. While I agree that younger dwarves would be nice for (lower skilled) immigrants, let's not go overboard. The founders should be a bit older than bare minimum as well, they are trusted with quite an investment in their endeavor. I'd like to see seniority feature in that.

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:57:33 am »

I don't want 12-year-olds in my fort.

Nobody said 12-year-olds (or the dwarven equivalent, capped at 26 if we assume it happens at the same percentage of maximum age as in humans, and assuming human max age is 80). Mephansteras said "minimum adult age", which isn't the same as the age of puberty. It would be perfectly reasonable to expect the dwarves coming in to be in their 40s or late 30s--as it is, they're all the age where humans in our world start buying fancy cars and wondering why they've been having sex with the same woman for twenty years (just kidding, for all you happily married middle-agers).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13:27 am »

Nobody said 12-year-olds

Mephansteras said "minimum adult age", which isn't the same as the age of puberty.

In this game it is. Or was, maybe it was changed. Doubt it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:03:01 am »

I'm perfectly happy to have it be more of a late 20's - 40's range. It just seems a bit odd that every dwarf who shows up at my fort is 50-80 years old. I'd expect most dwarves of that age to be well established in their homes, not looking for a new place to settle down. It's the young who go tromping around the world to get experience and find a niche, not the the middle aged or old.

Granted, this might all change once Toady makes it so that all migrants come from actual pre-existing dwarves, but even then I'd want most of them to be young unless there was some disaster or something to force established dwarves from their homes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:32:50 am »

well, to be fair, you can start with dwarves proficient at two trades, and an expedition leader should be old enough to take a responsibility. perhaps the game could assign the age of a dwarf based on how many skill points you gave him at the embark screen... even gen his personality to match his trade instead of creating the dwarfs personality before you embark and start giving out skillpoints

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:09:52 am »

haveing some older and some young dwarfs.
makes a better mix as you get the old craftsman who risk money and have skills.
and the younger dwarfs are the muscle,the one out to make name for themselves.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG