Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Challenge!: Dwarven Demolitions  (Read 789 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Challenge!: Dwarven Demolitions
« on: July 24, 2008, 06:26:26 am »

I have decided to use the pervasive friendships that exist with the Goblins on most maps to test some methods of dwarven demolitions on their towers.  I have been somewhat successful, but I am having trouble with getting all floors of a tower to collapse at the same time.

So it's a challenge to everyone!

My current strategy is an easy one.... just mine out the lowest floor completely except for one pillar (be sure to remove all stairways as well!!).  Then dig a three wide tunnel under the last pillar and channel out the two long sides and the short side next to the pillar above the tunnel.  Then, from a safe distance, channel the forth side of the long rectangle.  This causes the final pillar to fall, and the floor to collapse.  Unfortunately this does NOT cause the floors above it to collapse.   :-\

So the challenge is to make an entire tower collapse at once from a single trigger.  And the more towers you get to collapse the better!

Good luck!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Challenge!: Dwarven Demolitions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:17:35 am »

Dig out a pit beneath the tower, but don't collapse it yet.
Build a giant floor above the tower.
For extra style points, surround it with walls and pump magma to the top.
Remove all support for the platform except a single pillar.
Pull the Lever.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:26:48 pm »

or just let a dwarf remove the pillar. or make a stone stockpile under it. massacre for sure! 8)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »

Since goblins towers are of uniform size the whole way up, you could isolate the very top floor from the walls with a single support connecting it to the floor below. Hook up that support to a lever and watch the entire fort implode once the top floor gives way, smashing through each successive floor until it hits bottom.

I'm going to try that...

Edit: It is successful. Although the nature of goblins towers being what they are, you'll need to mine out every floor to ensure total collapse. Doesn't take long though with a team of dedicated miners, and after you've collapsed the tower you'll have piles of free obsidian.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:58:32 pm by Dogman »

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:12:31 am »

Heh, never thought of doing the top level... that makes sense.  You would also get a lot of handy equipment from such a stunt.

New challenge... destroy ALL buildings simultaneously!

Now I just need to find a Goblin town with magma and adamantine and I have the perfect jump start location.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:15 am »

Heh, never thought of doing the top level... that makes sense.  You would also get a lot of handy equipment from such a stunt.

New challenge... destroy ALL buildings simultaneously!

Now I just need to find a Goblin town with magma and adamantine and I have the perfect jump start location.

I did the "mine out an entire Z-layer" thing to a human village once and got everyone in one go.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.