Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smokey food  (Read 1075 times)

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smokey food
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:56:12 pm »

So I didn't realize that my hunter killed a few fire imps w/o going into the lava and had brought the meat back to the butcher.  My butcher happily carved the imp up and stuffed him in a barrel.  I found out alittle to late that my food stockpile was starting on fire and tried to move as much as i could after setting the stuff that was already on fire to be dumped.  My dwarfs (all 7 of them) have had a chance at some point to dump the meat.  I've dumped other objects (i think).  My pit is one tile next to a magma channel and the one tile above the magma.
                                                           | |
                                                         D|D|
                                                           | |
                                                          D= garbage dump
                                                          ||= magma channel
The food has been sitting there smoking and cover my view of several workshops.  Is there anyway to move the food short of water because that is on the other side of the mountain.

edit: well it appears that the food has rotted itself into nothingness because I saw it was rotted, and now it is gone.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:35:14 pm by J »

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
Re: Smokey food
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:50:13 pm »

Your butcher must have ≡adamantine gauntlets≡  :o

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:45:49 am »

Be careful with dumping burning items.  You could wind up with a !!dwarf!!, who dies, and then his buddy goes for his !!cave spider silk sock!!, and next thing you know, they're all dead.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:41 am »

Be careful with dumping burning items.  You could wind up with a !!dwarf!!, who dies, and then his buddy goes for his !!cave spider silk sock!!, and next thing you know, they're all dead.
that seems to have been fixed some time ago.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:27 am »

There does still seem to be the possibility of fire spreading from one dwarf to another. Fairly recently (in 38c) I had a dragon attack my fort, and although only a few dwarves were directly killed by it, one dwarf with his clothes on fire made it back to the barracks, and I ended up losing 40 out of 90 dwarves due to fire spreading throughout the fort. In the end I was only able to save it by flooding most of the upper levels.

The method by which fire spreads seems to be rather mysterious; I had some dwarves catching on fire just by sleeping in the same room as something burning, even if it was the other end of the room. Maybe it has something to do with the effects of heat rather than fire.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:08:47 am »

The method by which fire spreads seems to be rather mysterious; I had some dwarves catching on fire just by sleeping in the same room as something burning, even if it was the other end of the room. Maybe it has something to do with the effects of heat rather than fire.

i think it is to do with heat, as if you create a stupidly warm world you set on fire

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:30:57 am »

So I didn't realize that my hunter killed a few fire imps w/o going into the lava and had brought the meat back to the butcher.  My butcher happily carved the imp up and stuffed him in a barrel.  I found out alittle to late that my food stockpile was starting on fire ... the food has been sitting there smoking and cover my view of several workshops.  Is there anyway to move the food short of water because that is on the other side of the mountain.

edit: well it appears that the food has rotted itself into nothingness because I saw it was rotted, and now it is gone.

Reason #4629 why DF is more awesome than any ten other games combined.