Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Legends measuring more than lethality.  (Read 2369 times)

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends measuring more than lethality.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 06:31:23 am »

Mkay, I'ma gonna ignore this D&D talk...

Yes, there should be counters for Legends but, do they need to be accurate? I mean, what if you had a Goblin thief.

This Goblin thief likes bragging.

So this Goblin thief spins a tale of how he stole a rare and powerful artifact.

What is the artifact? A wooden spoon.  :D

The point being, Legends are usually made from story.

Here's another: Urist the Dwarven Blacksmith, has forged 1000 blades and made the sword "Dragon Slayer". Which has slain a dragon.

Whats there to say that the swords came out of the forge as +Adamanine Sword+ or "Dragon Slayer" had slain a full grown fire-breathing dragon? Nah, "Dragon Slayer" really had just slain the town drunk "George Dragon" as he slipped and fell on top of it!
But they don't know that!  ;)

I reiterate: Legends are made of the very same stuff as fairy tales, yet they are REAL because of people believing it's real.  :)

My 2 Cents.
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Legends measuring more than lethality.
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 07:52:14 am »

Also while the history is made of wars, it's made of culture too.
Put in some legendary engravings granting title and other fun things which may led to interesting results.

I.e. "dwarves of Kazarnist donated 500 plump helmets to starving people of human city Lolokoth which was sieged by goblins, and this act led to the 300-year alliance between dwarves and humans".
It will be more interesting when the diplomacy is fleshed out.
I'd like to see some acts of generosity/grand culture accomplishments (like songs about civs favourite God, grand temples which make the site into a shrine for all who worship that god etc.) leading to peace and bad jokes (a poem about elven pansies; a tale about a fat dwarven king etc.)/vile accomplishments (snatching of a princess/destroying of a temple of another civ's favourite god etc.) leading to wars.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3]