Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Determining Random Seed  (Read 458 times)

Savarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Determining Random Seed
« on: October 20, 2009, 01:09:30 pm »

I have a really awesome world that my friends want to use; I already have a nice fortress going there, how do I get the random seed for the world?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Determining Random Seed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »

Go to legends for that world, and press p (or however you have it binded) to export the worldgen info.

Look into your main DF directory and it will be there as (name of world file) world_gen_param.

Edit: Almost forgot you said you have a fortress going. Create a copy of the current game, paste it and rename it to something else. Then go to either one of them, abandon and check legends. The fortress will be intact on the copy.

Also, I've heard that you can get it by exporting an image of your fortress, I'm not sure if this works or not as I usually do the load world param info before I start a new fortress.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:16:38 pm by smjjames »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:16:31 pm »

Exporting an image works just fine. Hit escape while playing, select the option, and then select which Z-layers to export (you only need to export one). Along with the image(s), you'll get a file with your worldgen parameters, including the seed.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:35:32 pm »

How do we then use this seed?

(Searching the forum brings up a bunch of farming questions. :( )

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:40:46 pm »

For example, exporting an image from a fort called Chaosgears will generate a file called Chaosgears-param-region2-209-11283.txt. Everything after param is just the folder and game date info. Just stick everything except the df version into your world_gen.txt at the bottom, changing the [TITLE:Region02] line to something recognizable. Then you can select it during custom generation.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:01 am »

How do we then use this seed?

(Searching the forum brings up a bunch of farming questions. :( )
One way to do it is copy the world gen parameters that DF spits out when you export an image into "world_gen.txt," which is located in Dwarf Fortress\data\init. I recommend you edit the [TITLE] token to give it a name, the default is usually "medium" or something like that, which might cause a conflict since there's already presets with that name. After that select "Design new world with parameters" from the main menu, press F1 to load the parameters, and you should see a new entry in the corner. Simply select that and press 'enter.' This will generate a world with all of the parameters your world has, effectively creating a copy.

EDIT: Err, yeah, what elvang said.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:26:47 am by Amalgam »