Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insane Asylums? Sort of?  (Read 669 times)

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insane Asylums? Sort of?
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:58:00 am »

I was reading one of the other threads involving artifacts and insane dwarves, and got an idea that i wasnt sure was possible or not. Perhaps(it's just an idea) if a dwarf were suddenly showing signs of going insane/berserk/etc, you could wall them up in whatever room they happened to be in. Maybe with the use of support beams or some other structure to temporarily prevent them from leaving. Just thought i'd throw the idea out there for discussion, as ive never really had a chance to see if it would work.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Insane Asylums? Sort of?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:00:00 am »

Don't think they will go through locked doors.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:02:00 am »

You could equally well just lock the door. He'll starve and die either way.

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:03:00 am »

Oh, that is true isnt it! Guess i forgot about those silly doors.   :roll: Thats probably because most of my workshops are out in a large open cave area, oh well.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 07:14:00 am »

quote:
Thats probably because most of my workshops are out in a large open cave area, oh well.

Did that mistake too, thought it'd be "faster"...it was, but safety measures are hard to enforce in this case.

Burpstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:15:00 am »

So you would lock someone in a room to starve to death just because he/she didn't meet your definition of sanity? For shame.  :confused:

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 11:20:00 am »

Well, only to protect the other dwarves, of course.   :roll:

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »

From the title I was thinking this thread might be about a way to cure insane dwarves. Curing injured ones would be nice too...maybe we need a dedicated 'doctor' profession, complete with it's own workshop?

This morning I regretfully sealed the door to one of my miner's bedroom. He'd gotten a yellow injury to his upper body during a scuffle with an alligator, and has been resting and having people wait on him hand and foot for what seems like forever. He's happy and all, but has shown no signs of recovering, and with the impending food crisis I can't afford to keep him around.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »

Do dwarven doctors put their patients under the axe?  I guess they could be trendy and use obsidian scalpels.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

Maybe mental health care needs to be improved in a later version.  Dwarves with the Health Care labour task could go visit him and have support groups and stuff.

It's funnier when you realise I'm not kidding. =P

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »

How about a witch doctor that comes with the merchants, tells the wounded to chew some grass in order to get better and thus making them happy for a season or two?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 06:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Virtz:
<STRONG> witch doctors </STRONG>

Dwarves are very wholesome and wouldn't take kindly to such silliness!  Much more effective to just lock 'em in a cloth padded room and fee d 'em through a slot.