Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On matters of military  (Read 2012 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On matters of military
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:02 pm »

Ah thanks, that helped alot.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 02:32:02 pm »

Holy crap, a goblin ambushed just happened. Thankfully a dwarven caravan happened to be here and took care of them for me but wow, the carnage. I know I've said it before about the carnage but I saw a goblin get hit and it flew at least 16 tiles before landing and exploding into about 5 parts... would that be the handy work of some hammerdwarfs?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:12 pm »

Actually, that sounds more like an Axe.  Axes are pretty good at sending enemies flying (not as good as Hammers and Maces, but still pretty good), and the enemy winding up in seventy parts is the hallmark of Slashing damage.

It might also be a Sword, but I haven't seen one in action so I don't know how good they are at sending dead enemies flying.

Now a Mace, on the other hand...one time I saw a Mace Champion send an enemy two screens through the air and a Z-level up.  That put it on the same level as my Marksdwarves' ledges, at which point they started shooting at it like a clay pidgeon  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:58:51 pm by LegacyCWAL »
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 07:59:05 pm »

And theres no difference between mace and hammer right now correct? And how did you get your guys to train with axes? Arn't those really hard not to hurt your own dwarfs with?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:04 pm »

Yeah, as far as I know there's no real difference between Maces and Hammers.

As for training, I didn't so much avoid injuries as I made them not matter by using the Fortress Guard and Royal Guard as a sort of "boot camp".  If you fire and replace enough injured Guards, a few are bound to avoid nervous system injuries long enough to get four or five levels of Wrestler and Shield User.  At that point, you can draft them straight out of the Guard, give them a real weapon like an axe, and be confident that they'll be able to avoid sparring injuries long enough to get good with it.

I also ran a lot of Legendary dwarves through the Guard this way.  Legends tend to have ridiculously high toughness, which goes a long ways towards preventing sparring injuries, especially against unarmed Guards.  They're almost guaranteed to get through "boot camp" and join the real military, and if they aren't, it's no big deal because I can send them back to work.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:45:31 pm by LegacyCWAL »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 12:43:30 am »

Can you get rid of built floors? I just relized that I should have left tiles open in the floor above my courtyard so I could make a killing area (asside from traps of course).

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 01:01:12 am »

Use "Remove Construction" in the Designate menu

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 01:46:11 am »

be careful with removing floors though, you could cause a collapse if you don't leave a connection

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 11:21:01 am »

Yeah...I accidentally did that when building an elevated aqueduct, removing a floor about five seconds before a wall was built to take the load, thereby leaving a fifty-tile-long section supported by nothing but a Floor Grate.

It wasn't pretty.
Pages: 1 [2]