Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: haunted ruins  (Read 443 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
haunted ruins
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:25 am »

Hi!

I know there is a similar suggestion, but I think my idea is different enough to warrant a thread of its own to avoid confusion.

I was thinking about people complaining about the ghost towns and there not being enough challenge in adventure mode and I thought: "Why not combine this?"

All the values in the example are just random suggestions to illustrate the point. I am concerned with the principle and not the details here.

During world generation, any site which loses its dominant population (ruined towns/halls/retreats, empty caves) sets up an internal flag.

If the site is re-populated, the flag is cleared again.

After a period of years (maybe 5), if the site has not been re-populated, it gets a 30% chance of turning undead. Otherwise, it will remain just as it does now.

If a site turns undead, each named creature which died in that site and has not had its body removed from the site and has not been undead, has a 50% chance of becoming a skeleton/zombie/ghost.

In addition, the site will spawn a handful of lesser undead. The site itself will become haunted/terrifying/sinister.

As a bonus feature, such infected sites may spread their evil into the surrounding countryside, just as humans and dwarves fell trees and elves plant them again.

By having the creation of undead ruins take place within world generation and normal history, we have a greater potential for interesting legends. And it definitely adds to the drama of destroyed civilizations.

Deathworks