Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More "magma safe" materials.  (Read 716 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
More "magma safe" materials.
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »

Many of DF's minerals have high melting points. For instance, the iron ores (magnetite, hematite, limonite) all have melting points about the same as pure iron. I think hematite and limonite actually have slightly higher melting points. Also platinum, the native platinum would have the same melting point as the metal.

Some have even higher melting points, like the titanium ores.

Yet currently the only magma safe mechanisms available are from bauxite, which is unavailable to many forts. If even a few of these materials were given proper melting points it would make it much easier to find magma safe mechanism material. Even if only Magnetite, Hematite, Limonite, and Native Platinum were given correct melting points (just use the ones from Iron and Platinum) it would help tremendously - most forts can get at least one of these materials, if not several.

Now obviously this is something that can be done with a mod (and quite easily, I already play with it done) but it would only take a moment to add it to the official version, and it would make working with magma so much easier on everyone, especially new players who don't know to look for the magic bauxite.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More "magma safe" materials.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:07 am »

It would actually be better if we could create metallic mechanisms (would be more efficient and faster to reaction) in the magma/normal forge.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
Re: More "magma safe" materials.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:08:31 am »

I'm pretty sure metal mechanisms are on the to do list. 
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.