Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rename Finished Goods Bins.  (Read 879 times)

YolkFolk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rename Finished Goods Bins.
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:26:06 am »

Can anybody help me find a way to replace the name "Finished Goods Bin" with "Goods Bin" throughout the game? I would like to be able to see the complete name of the bins in the Bring to Trade Depot screen. I can get a rough idea of which bins are which by their distance, but all too often they will get mixed up when stockpiles are large, or at similar distances from the depot.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rename Finished Goods Bins.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:15:15 pm »

Press the 'v' key to view the item. Then you'll find out which one it is and what's in it too.

YolkFolk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 02:29:59 pm »

It was having to do that for dozens and dozens of bins that lead me to ask about this. Does anybody know if it is impossible?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:47:28 pm »

Sorry, no can do.  Hardcoded.

Well, actually...  It might be possible to screw things around with a hex editor, since you'd be taking away from the name size rather than adding on to it.  But that's pretty risky, if it's even possible.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:29:15 am »

It's possible to rename the "Finished Goods bin" to "Goods bin" in a hex editor, but that won't help the cause - you can't change the string length in a hex editor, so while the string would read "Goods bin", the actual goods would still be off in the distance.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

YolkFolk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:04:59 pm »

Okay, if renaming the bins to make the stockpile number easier to read is out of the question, how difficult would it be to set the "take this thing to the trade depot" property of an item from outside DF? Has anybody managed this in the past?