Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Tale of Two Dwarves  (Read 2002 times)

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Tale of Two Dwarves
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:59 am »

I figured I would share this story here.  Enjoy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: A Tale of Two Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:33 am »

Holy crap, that was awesome.  You, sir, are a fantastic writer.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:54:47 am »

Very cool!  I like your take on dwarven psychology! (is there another word to describe how a group acts like this in response to an individual?)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:04:09 am »

Actually, that whole blog seems pretty cool.  You need some sort of "about us" page that explains who you and that other guy are, why you're such awesome writers, and why such awesome writers would live in such an awful place as Pennsylvania.  Also, how you manage to keep from writing angry rants on your blog?  You know, the kind where you look back in a week and wonder why on earth you wrote that nonsense on the internet for the whole world to see and roll their eyes at?

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:48:18 am »

<----------------- Thoroughly enjoyed!  Thanks!

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:01:45 pm »

Actually, that whole blog seems pretty cool.  You need some sort of "about us" page that explains who you and that other guy are, why you're such awesome writers, and why such awesome writers would live in such an awful place as Pennsylvania.  Also, how you manage to keep from writing angry rants on your blog?  You know, the kind where you look back in a week and wonder why on earth you wrote that nonsense on the internet for the whole world to see and roll their eyes at?

Thanks!  You're not the first person to ask for an "about us" page.  We used to have a link to our (non-)manifesto, here, which explains some of the principles underlying the blog.

We have, I should confess, managed the occasional foaming-at-the-mouth rant.

The short version is:  the two main authors (we occasionally host guests) are software engineers.  This is a place for our writing, which tends to mostly focus on the things that interest us:  video and computer games, food, booze, photography, and software development.  The people who read our blog for the food posts are annoyed by the gaming posts, and the people who read it for the gaming posts are annoyed by the food posts.  So it all balances out.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys liked the story.  I had fun writing it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:23:49 pm »

Wow, it's not often you find a software engineer who is also an excellent writer and photographer - let alone TWO!  I am thoroughly impressed, and you've won yourself a new reader.

EDIT: By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with your arguments for saving anywhere.  Ever since I missed the school bus one day because I was only halfway through the Peaceful Rest Valley in Earthbound when it was time to go and had fifteen more minutes to get to the nearest telephone, and my mom freaked out on me because she had to drive me to school, I have hated all game designers who don't let you just put the game down and walk away whenever you need to.  I mean, heaven forbid anyone who buys a video game should have a life away from their console, right?

If you haven't read it already, you might be interested in The 7 Commandments All Video Games Should Obey.  Very good stuff there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:51:57 pm by Sappho »

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 04:04:42 pm »

Sick nasty.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 06:43:05 pm »

That was a good read all right. You're pretty darn good at writing.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 08:23:15 pm »

Moments of hilarity spring eternal!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.