Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spud's Bow suggestions.  (Read 1553 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Spud's Bow suggestions.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 11:13:36 pm »

Get within 21 feet of an elf, and he'll eat you ;)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 01:04:38 am »

I proposed something similar, which was just the idea to add a 'ready' phase to bow and crossbow use, which would represent the precious seconds needed to pull out an arrow, or in the case of a crossbow, the precious 15 seconds needed to do so. :P

It's a problem on a lot of counts when it comes to these weapons, since they are in real life devastating weapons, but at the same time, limited in their use... I think just having their damage toned down, or having armor help prevent internal injuries would help more than anything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 04:55:37 am »

since they are in real life devastating weapons

It is hard to get around that since it is considered (even by me) to be the established feel of Dwarf Fortress... Though the problem is obviously that bows are powerful to a fault.

-----------------I was writing this until I changed my post... take it as you will --------------

Getting hit by an Axe, Hammer, or Sword by a super human combatant should be a tad more deadly then a crossbow or bow who have been used. hense the need for balancing.

I guess Ill try to put down all the things about Bows and Crossbows that have been said

Changes:
-Armor and Endurance has more of an effect (more so on Arrows then Crossbow bolts)
-Block/dodge chance is greater especially at greater ranges and if using shields. (Shields are a tad too important in this for their own good IMO)
-Less Multiorgan hits
-Increased damage reduction against larger creatures so to prevent the often over-reliance on bows to deal with everything.
-Bows use strength to increase damage to a limit determined by its quality
-Crossbows increase damage based on quality to a greater degree
-Crossbows require Ready actions (How about 2?) to fire and bows require none
-Swarm bonus to accuracy for Crossbow/bow fire

--------------------------- The end ------------------------

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 02:12:49 pm »

Minimum range for ranged weapons.

Right, so this kind of sucks on some level, but it's also realistic on that level, too. You can, in fact, fire a bow at pointblank and kill someone. The problem is that if someone is that close to you, your accuracy tends to degrade severely, and by the time you're pointblank, you'd have the choice of blocking a sword with your bow (which might just break it, since bows weren't really designed for that) or trying to fire an arrow and ending up getting a sword in your face for the trouble. As it is, being able to shoot at an opponent that is wailing on you is much more ridiculous than being arbitrarily unable to fire at someone close to you.

Of course, the way arrows work in the DF engine probably makes this impossible, but yeah.

And yeah, arrows are deadly, but having them deal as much damage as a spear is rather nuts.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 03:48:23 pm »

If they're that close, just swap weapons and wield your arrows [18] and stab them.

PenguinSeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 05:08:01 am »

I agree that bows should be brought in line with the rest of the weapons.

Maybe you should not be allowed to shoot if an enemy is next to you? You could get a message like "You cannot fire with that x so close to you!"

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 07:47:33 am »

A good start would be making them slower...

Nothing quite like seeing a crossbowman fire a bolt, reload, and fire another bolt while the first bolt is still flying towards it's target. :p
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »

Nothing quite like seeing a crossbowman fire a bolt, reload, fire another bolt, reload, fire another bolt, reload, fire another bolt, reload, and fire another bolt  while the first bolt is still flying towards it's target. :p

Fix'd.
Pages: 1 [2]