Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39c] World Gen: Can't see which seed was used if gen is canceled midway  (Read 1079 times)

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm very glad that now when I cancel world gen partway through and re-generate it right away without touching anything, that the seed is re-randomized.

However, if I like the world that's starting to be generated and I want to cancel and double-check my settings before I commit to an hour of genning, the seed is erased and set to zero.

I suggest replacing the "0" in the seed columns in the [e] advanced options menu with the seed that was used by the world generation that was just canceled, yet leaving the Random options set to "Yes". That way, we can manually tell it to start generating the same world that was just canceled.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try not genning a full sized world, Larges seem to take 1000 times longer than anything else.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

It'd wouldn't really be clear where to find them that way, though it would make entry painless.  The screen might get a bit thick, especially as more seeds are added, but they'd fit down in the lower right now (as previous seeds used), which would alert people to their presence.  It could also add them to the gamelog entry for world creation I guess, though that wouldn't be as useful if you fullscreen.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

...am I the only one who thinks you two (the thread creator and Toady) aren't quite on the same page here?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only change that should be made is the [e] advanced parameters menu should display the one seed that was just canceled, like it used to. Since 39c, it has displayed a "0" in the three "Seed" entries instead of the one seed that was just canceled. It's late, so hopefully that makes sense now. Below is the original post I was going to make that was just plain too long. :)

Toady One - I just want the previously generated-and-canceled seed displayed. Right now when you a world gen halfway through and cancel to go look at the advanced settings again, the three seeds are listed as "0" and starting world gen again results in a completely different world.

There were two changes that occured to the seed portion of the advanced settings that I noticed, one of which was helpful and the other change I am bringing up in this thread. The helpful change was that when you 1) cancel a world gen halfway through to go back to the advanced settings page, and 2) don't change anything and instead just hit "Enter" right away to start generation over from scratch, then it generates a completely new world because the "Use Seed" is set to "Random" and never changes, unlike the previous version. In the previous version, you had to manually reset all three "Use Seed" settings to random if you wanted to generate a new random world.

The unhelpful change is that previously when you canceled a world gen halfway through and went to look at the [e] advanced settings, you could note the three seeds that were randomly selected and write them down or save them if you wanted, and you could gen the same world right away if you wished. However, as it stands now, the "Seed" entry always stays at "0" if you cancel world gen halfway through, and you have no way of knowing the seeds of the world you just canceled the generation of.

I don't know how to make it sound not confusing, but I think it's important enough of an issue to bring up. To sum it up simply, I think the only change should be:

"If you cancel a world generation at any point, you should be able to view the seeds that were just in the process of being generated,"

because right now they only show "0" in the entries. That way when canceling world gen and then starting another world gen, the default option is to create a new, unique, random world using a brand new seed, but we would still have the option of manually changing the "Random" use seed setting to "Yes" and regenerate the world we canceled.[/s]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:36:14 pm by FFLaguna »

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It could also add them to the gamelog entry for world creation I guess, though that wouldn't be as useful if you fullscreen.

That would be fine, but I would prefer it to display the seed in the [e] advanced settings like it used to be, and combined with the new default "cancel and recreate a world" setting being to continue using random seeds.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

I knew what you were talking about, and that's what I was referring to when I said "It'd wouldn't really be clear where to find them that way, though it would make entry painless," which is why I made additional suggestions.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I knew what you were talking about, and that's what I was referring to when I said "It'd wouldn't really be clear where to find them that way, though it would make entry painless," which is why I made additional suggestions.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. It sounds like you already have an idea on how to deal with it again, and I'll trust your implementation. Thanks! :)