Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing Blows, Targeted Strikes  (Read 634 times)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Killing Blows, Targeted Strikes
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:21:37 pm »

Killing Blows:
What I'm asking for, simply, is an attack that kills someone instantly if it connects, but is limited in it's usage. And has a longer cooldown time than a basic attack.

This would allow a finishing blow on an unconscious, asleep, stunned, or otherwise debilitated/unawares foe without randomly hacking off all their limbs first. It'd also be useful if you were trying to be a sneaky character and sneak up to someone and kill them.

Of course, trying to use it on a foe that can still fight back would result in failure.

Targeted Strike:
The ability to chose which area you're going to stab/slash/hack/smash/whip/shoot. The trade off being a longer cooldown time and a higher chance of being blocked/avoided. This would be useful if, for example, you're next to an archer point blank, and you'd rather hack off his shooting arm than trying to beat up his empty hand. Or if you felt like decapitating all your foes to be more worth your time when dealing with a crowd of rampaging peasents than attacking indiscriminately.
Re: Killing Blows, Targeted Strikes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:25:03 pm »

That'd be nice but I don't think DF works on cool down times for actions; one of the things that make archers so deadly.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:27:48 pm »

well, you could just make the action take a large time to perform, that way if three guys are KO'd you can go to each and kill them, but if one of them is up he'll whack you before you can kill his buddies.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:29:38 pm »

well, you could just make the action take a large time to perform, that way if three guys are KO'd you can go to each and kill them, but if one of them is up he'll whack you before you can kill his buddies.

Yeah, I meant making it a longer time to preform, not a cooldown time. :I
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:42 pm »

Perhaps I wasn't clear, and note I'm not positive about this, but it seems that every adventure mode action takes a fixed amount of time. If you move 1 space, or fire a bow, or lie down, or set something afire, or drop your weapon, etc, it's all the same fixed amount of time based on your speed.

Perhaps this will get reworked with the combat arc, but for now I don't think it can be done.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:47:21 pm »

Well, it can't be too hard to change as stance and actions like stealth already change your speed.  It would just be a temporary status effect called "execution"

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:51:20 pm »

I assume it will also give a bit more xp to compensate for not chopping off all those limbs first for 10 xp apiece?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:55:27 pm »

Another way it could perhaps work is adding a 'ready' phase to it (I've been in love for using that on firing bows, but I actually don't know if it's feasible...), so when you select to do a killing blow, you'd use two actions in a row instead of one long one.

This also would be nice for saving a comrade from getting gutted while their down, if a message would appear like "Smorg Uglygoblin prepares to finish Om Meatsheild", and an attack on them would interrupt the action.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:18:14 pm »

But we'll keep the occasional counterstrike leading to decapitation and instant kill, right? I nearly pump my fist in the air every time it happens, it's like a critical hit except awesome.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.