Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39c] Two odd bugs I found dealing with advanced parameters in worldgen.  (Read 461 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

The first is easier to explain: setting both the minimum and maximum volcanism to 100 (nullifying the volcanism parameters dealing with rejects, of course) makes the game crash, apparently sometime after it checks for the correct amount of biome squares. Setting the minimum to 99 or lower, however, makes the world generate with no problem.

The second is a bit more complicated, and appears to be the root of all the complaints of altering the savagery causing infinite rejects.

I turned up the min and max savagery to 100 and nullified the savagery reject checks. Although it resulted in an endless stream of rejects, none of them had to do with savagery. Rather, many of the rejects were "Swamp region count fails by -7."  At one time, I had nine identical swamp region count failures in a row..

I figured if I turned down the region requirements, it would reject less, so I went back to parameters, and I found, to my surprise, The minimum swamp (the parameters menu calls them wetlands) region counts were seven. Obviously, 7 - 7 is 0, so apparently there were no swamps. Never any swamps. None at all. I checked various seeds, including the one I used for high savagery, with the default parameters, and none of them came close to having a complete lack of any of the biomes.

From my above research, I conclude that the world generator does not properly recognize biomes with high savagery, at least during the region count checks. For instance, it does not recognize a savage swamp as a swamp. For those of you wondering about why it's always swamps, it's probably because the first region count it comes to is the swamps, so it rejects right there before it gets to the next region count.

Both of the bug reports in the same spot, for convenience:

-setting the minimum and maximum volcanism to 100 causes crashing.
-savage swamp regions are not being recognized as swamps (along with other biome regions, possibly) during the region count checking phase of world generation.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:47:43 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

This thread made it to the second page and nobody acknowledged it, so I'm bumping it.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

You don't have to worry about bumps.  It had only been up an hour and a half, while I was checking other threads.  I check everything with a "new" on it, on whatever page.

I'm not getting the volcanism crash.  Do you have a specific param set?

If you set savagery high, it can't place civs, and that will cause rejects.  Civs can't be placed in 67+ sav areas.  Is that the issue?  If you've ever seen civ expansion stop inexplicably, it's usually because they've bumped into the savage areas.  When I set savagery to 100, it would have many rejects (as it does without special savagery settings), but sometimes it would make it all the way to civ placement, which fails, always.  If you want high savagery worlds, you'll need to use the meshes to create small pockets of mid savager for civs to live in.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Volcanism param set:

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
    [TITLE:VOLCANO]
    [DIM:257:257]
    [END_YEAR:1050]
    [BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
    [END_YEAR:1050]
    [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
    [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
    [ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
    [RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
    [TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
    [DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
    [VOLCANISM:100:100:400:400]
    [SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
    [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
    [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
    [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:50]
    [OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:2]
    [VOLCANO_MIN:15]
    [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:1032:7:7]
    [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:1032:7:7]
    [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:4128:13:13]
    [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:8256:9:9]
    [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:8256:7:7]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:8256:13:13]
    [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:8256:13:13]
    [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
    [RIVER_MINS:400:400]
    [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
    [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
    [SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
    [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
    [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
    [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
    [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
    [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:50]
    [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
    [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
    [ELEVATION_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
    [RAIN_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
    [DRAINAGE_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
    [SAVAGERY_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
    [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

As for the savagery, it never got to the civ placing stage. The farthest it ever got was to swamp regions counts; the reject message I'm getting is "Swamp region count fails by -7." From the parameters, I'm concluding that the game is generating zero swamp regions, many times, or at least recognizing zero swamp regions. I almost never see zero swamp regions in the reject log, and now I'm getting them all the time with the high savagery settings.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Okay, these were only happening for me on large worlds.  I've fixed them both now.  You'll still have problems at the civ stage as outlined above.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!