Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finding locations of sites with legends?  (Read 510 times)

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
finding locations of sites with legends?
« on: July 19, 2008, 03:23:02 pm »

I was browsing through the legends, and found a cave inhabited by a dragon and some other creatures.  Problem is i don't know where this cave is located on the map.  Is there a way to pin point the location so i can embark there?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: finding locations of sites with legends?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:51:52 pm »

If you have the cave visible, one of the way is to remember the cave's name and walk around as adventurer. Visible caves have names. Also there's a good opportunity that some mayors will order you to kill them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: finding locations of sites with legends?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:43:51 pm »

It's a little bit of work, but:
Get the name of the dragon.
Check the start of the Age of Myth history and look for events where that dragon is in another town/mountain hall/whatever, where the event is highlighted in yellow. Scroll down until that yellow event is the topmost, then hit enter. You'll get a minimap showing where it took place on the right. Compare that minimap to an exported copy of the world map to see where it is.

Then, go to that town and either repeatedly ask somebody about the surroundings to hopefully find a reference to the dragon's cave, scour the countryside nearby for it, or just keep going on quests for the leader until he gives you a quest to kill the dragon.

There's probably a simpler way, but the above works. I used it to find a zombie dragon in my last world. :)
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)