Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b-c] Pathfinding errors in Dwarf Mode and others  (Read 772 times)

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b-c] Pathfinding errors in Dwarf Mode and others
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:50:50 am »

In 39b, I had just finished building a giant construction. There was a pump tower inside, and I wanted to rig up some hatches to a lever for it. So while the hatches were being built, it was winter, so I dug down  into the brook ice so I could attempt to dam it up further back. This failed, however, and I lost my miner/mayor in the process. I also set up the lever. Somehow my dungeon master got ontop of the lever, and was unable to move (constantly pathfinding ?) I removed the lever, but it didn't work. So I deconstructed the tile he was on, he fell through unharmed and I let him go. I attempted to build a few pumps around the area I wanted to wall up, but I noticed that the dwarves kept suspending one. So I look at my announcement screen, and they canceled it because they could not find the path, despite being able to get to the area. They also canceled subsequent lever constructions, and my Dungeon Master has dozens and dozens of pathfinding errors related to him getting equipment, as well as many other dwarves claiming a water source had vanished (when it hadn't, they had a drunking zone over a running brook, the winter's freeze was short (a day or so)). I tried to rebuild the lever in several places in the tower and around the map, but I just kept getting the suspension due to pathfinding error.

After updating to 39c, the problem still exists.

Long story short:

1. Cannot build anything, dwarves cancel it due to pathfinding
2. Cannot drink from brook (possibly can, but creates a LOT of pathfinding errors)
3. Dungeon Master cannot get to equipment he is trying to get, walks back and forth in a small area.

Update: Other bugs I remembered:

Statues and stones sometimes stay hovering in the air when the wall underneath them is deconstructed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:03:36 am by Thursday Postal »

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39b-c] Pathfinding errors in Dwarf Mode and others
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:49:43 am »

Do you have a hidden building in the way?  Try selecting the "hide buildings" designation in the d-b menu and see if anything shows up.  Or maybe you mass-forbid some stuff and caught a door in the area?

For your floating issue: Do the statues/stones still have floors under them?  Are the floors supported on the sides?
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:05:19 pm »

I just tried hiding then unhiding, then forbidding, and reclaiming the whole z-level. The other problems still remain.

It's possible the stones had floors under them, but I am fairly certain the statues (which were ontop of a gold block) had nothing under them, unless statues can somehow attach to adjacent floors like floors  (and walls?) can.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:18:50 pm »

So what I read this as saying is you built a 1x1 gold block against a wall, put a statue on top, then deconstructed the gold wall.   If this is correct, maybe the automatic floor on top of the wall is staying put because of the statue, supported by the adjacent wall?

What happens if you do this out in the open?
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:42:07 pm »

I tried to reproduce it, but I can't, because the dwarves won't build anything anywhere, they suspend the wall due to pathfinding problems.