Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b] Something is wrong in my kitchen!  (Read 1932 times)

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b] Something is wrong in my kitchen!
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:21:30 pm »

My brewer kept nagging me about a lack of barrels, so I looked at my food stockpiles and discovered a prepared food barrel with a *roast* in it. The *roast* consists of nothing, is worth nothing and weighs one.
I laughed.
The next barrel I looked into, contained nothing but roasts, +roast+s and *roast*s. Strange. I looked into the stocks screen to see just how many roasts i got.
I nearly fell of my seat.
I had 63 pages of roast! No wonder my barrels were all occupied. As I looked closer at my prepared food I discovered that nearly all of my "ordinary" lavish meals had only one ingredient thus taken further space in my precious barrels. There were a few dwarven wine roasts of normal size from my first year though.
I tried to dump the *roasts* but  my stupid dwarves werenīt up to it. They dropped the *roasts* everywhere causing miasmas.
I tried a new cook in a different kitchen, but he only produced roast of lesser quality. I can even produce *buscuit* and *stew* if I want to.
Something is wrong in my kitchen!
I do not use mods by the way
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:23:34 pm by Tsuliwaensis »

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Something is wrong in my kitchen!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:23:45 pm »

Hmm, probably stupid question, but have you enabled the [m]ix food in the standing [ o]rders ?

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39b] Something is wrong in my kitchen!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:28:27 pm »

I have Mix food enabled. There are a few roasts with two or three ingredients, but very few with four.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:40:28 pm »

I wonder if creating meals is anything like creating artifacts, as follows:  I have found that you can forbid items to be used in artifact creation while they are being carried by the moody dwarf to the claimed workshop.  Others have said that when you do this, that item isn't used, and no replacement is sought.  Thus, the artifact simply has fewer "ingredients" than it was originally going to have.

If so, then the combination of that with the pathing bug that causes hauling jobs to be cancelled so frequently in the latest release might be causing your cooks to successfully gather fewer ingredients that he was originally intending to.  In the worst case, he might successfully gather no ingredients (dropping them all part way to the kitchen), but still somehow decide that he's gonna make that meal regardless, leading to an empty roast.

Aside from the rotting roasts (which is definitely explained by the pathing bug), are there also any dropped ingredient items on the way to the kitchen?  (You might need to reactivate the creation of meals to find out.)

Marduk765

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:09:21 pm »

I noticed this too. What seemed to happen as far as I can tell was that quarry bush leaves was not included when they were part of a cooking task. The dwarf would fetch the ingredients, including quarry bush leaves (bag), but when he actually cooked the quarry bush leaves remained and was not included in the roast. If he only cooked quarry bush leaves it ended up with an empty roast, value 0 and weight 1.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:35 pm »

How do dorfs decide what to make anyways?  Sometimes they seem to blend a few things together, other times they just put like 4 of the same thing together (all regardless of what I actually have on hand).

Does a lavish meal made with a bunch of the same thing count just as good as something with a mix?

Also does a thing with 4 foods in it count as 4 food or do you waste 3 food by making it?  Cooking has always confused me a bit but I do it anyways out of 'realism' despite not fully understanding how it works and what impact it has.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:40:24 pm »

Cooking's pretty simple: you take four stacks of input foods of sizes A, B, C, and D, and you generate one stack of output foods of size A+B+C+D. The output food has a quality modifier, and also counts as all of the input foods (so a dwarf who likes plump helmets will enjoy a cat tallow roast so long as one of the ingredients was plump helmet). When gathering materials, dwarves select the "closest" eligible input; if said closest is a barrel of items (e.g. a sugar barrel), then odds are good that they're going to pull multiple inputs from that barrel, resulting in very homogenous meals.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:24:04 pm »

I searched for dropped ingredients but found nothing. My kitchen is 1 z-level under the food stockpile so the cook has only to walk like 5 tiles. And my legendary cook is fast. I tried to watch him as he cooks but didnīt catch him cooking this roasts of nothing. Three times he cooked as he should and only one time he did not include a quarry bush leaves bag.( Iīm sure he knew I was watching) Than i ran out of food to cook.
I have many stacks of quarry bush leaves roast, so it is not always them dropping out.
Tomorrow, I will try to figure out what exactly is going on.

ps I made a video of my many many roasts
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-670-roastslotsofthem

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 02:10:54 am »

Does somebody have a save that can reproduce this reliably?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:44:54 am »

I went back in time to see, when my cook started producing these roasts.
There was no problem till he tried to make a lavish meal out of 4 bags of  quarry bush leaves. He produces roast after roast but the quarry bush leaves are never consumed. He does not leave the kitchen, he just keeps producing +roasts+. After a few days, having produced 20+ roasts, he leaves and the bags are finally empty.
Iīve made a save when he has already made 7 roasts. He will continue to make these roasts for a week or two. Here it is:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=302

MoonMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:17 am »

This also happened to me when I was trying to create lavish meals with quarry bush leaves.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:09 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded the save.  Thanks for your help.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!