Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: designation question  (Read 483 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
designation question
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:35 pm »

I have recently been converting a steep hill in the new version into a sheer cliff and I discovered that right on the very edge square of the screen has a stack of ramps on it that leads all of the way up to my fortress. Now I would like to remove this but it will not allow me to designate its removal. Now the question is has anyone else experienced this or discovered a way to get rid of the annoying natural back door?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: designation question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:13:32 pm »

a stack of ramps? i dont know what to imagine at that.
and the very edge of the screen? do you mean the map?
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:37:25 pm »

example

side view
Code: [Select]
|^...
|^...
|^...
| = side of map
^ = ramp
. = ground
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:55:24 pm »

Afaik, you can't mine or build on the single tile closest to the edge of your chosen map.  It would be logical to assume that the same rules apply to ramp removals.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:40:55 pm »

Perhaps channel out the tile next to the ramps, as the ramps themselves are protected by being on the border.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday