Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39 b] Problem with saves?  (Read 1090 times)

Hawke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39 b] Problem with saves?
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:36:11 pm »

Anyone else experiencing problems with the autosave?

I set Autosave to seasonal, turned on Initial Save, built a fortress and went for almost a full year before I ran into a bug (My legendary miner dying because no one would bring him water) so I CTRL-ALT-DEL out and go to restart, but the fortress doesn't exist anywhere.

It's possible I have an error in my Init file, but unlikely.  Has anyone else got autosave working?

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39 b] Problem with saves?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »

err, you did turn on the auto-backup option didn't you? Not the auto save, but the auto backup.  The game keeps the current save in the .../save/current folder.  If you exit without saving, that data gets deleted the next time you play.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:43:29 pm »

As long as it's been at least one season, though, it should save just fine to the /save/regionX folder.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:04:41 am »

Autosave seems to crash whenever it has to over-write an old save.  Say, you have a region 1, and make some autosaves, then delete that region 1, but not the auto-saves, make a new region 1, and continue.  First chance to save it'll crash on you.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Hawke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:58:50 am »

Like I said, it had been almost 1 full year.  I would have expected no less than 4 saves to have occured (Initial, 3 seasons).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:07:32 pm »

Do we have any confirmation from anybody that it's working in general?  Or is it broken for everybody?  I didn't change any of this code, so I didn't expect any problems, but a lot has changed in general, so who knows.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 06:50:17 am »

I've also a minor bug in the same mood : My "regular" save is labelled as a seasonal autosave, and the save wich was supposed to be the real one is a seasonal autosave.

Well, it'll be clearer with a screen :

Here, "region 5-sum-301" is the real save, but "region 5" is my autosave from Summer, and "region 5-sum-301-aut-301" is my autosave from Autumn. It's not a real problem, but it's scared me the first time.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:16 am »

If you at any point restored from the seasonal autosave and started playing, future autosaves will append their season and year to the current save folder's name. 

So what it looks like is that you played, autosaved at summer, exited the game (by saving) around when it autosaved, then reloaded from the autosave and kept playing through autumn.  I don't think it's a bug, but it's happened to me too and it could probably stand to be clearer.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Hussell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:23:07 am »

It would be nice if the save folders were named with the season last, so that they sorted by age on the save screen. E.g., "region5-301-sum". Right now, all the autumn saves come first, followed by spring, summer, and winter.

Hawke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:55:23 pm »

Actually, I was just looking for confirmation that it was working from someone else.  That would indicate that the problem was on my end.

Sounds like that is the case.  I will review my .ini file.