Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b] Disappearing giant in fire  (Read 571 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b] Disappearing giant in fire
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:41:37 am »

Rather odd, I was in adventure mode, and I went to the cave of a Giant I had been quested to kill.  When I approached, I noticed him outside the cave near a brook (this is a 39b world - the cave was there, but the giant was outside) and some trees.

I went into sneaking mode, and crept round to the opposite side of a tree that he was next to, without being spotted.  I then ignited the tree, hoping to cause some fire damage to the creature.

The area filled with smoke as usual; trying to spot the giant, I tried (l)ooking into the smoky area, and I could see smoke and ashes, but no giant.  I couldn't believe that it had burned and turned to ashes so quickly (and the task still registered as incomplete), but the giant had completely disappeared.

I (T)ravelled away a few squares, and then came back, and the perfectly unharmed Giant was back in her cave, and promptly killed me.

No save, I'm afraid, but shouldn't be impossible to reproduce.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: [39b] Disappearing giant in fire
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:46:20 am »

Maybe he just had the wits to go away from the burning tree, and you didn't see him go in all the smoke?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:45 am »

No, I don't think so - it was a very open area, in full daylight, and I circled around a few times to check for just that eventuality.  I also un-sneaked and there was no announcement from the giant.  It just vanished from the screen.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:26:55 am »

Must have been a ninja giant who took advantage of your 'smoke bomb'.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:36:57 am »

"I am the terror who flaps in the night!! I am the winged scourge who pecks at your nightmares! I am *CLOBBER*"

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:13:22 pm »

I think things like miasma and smoke can hide items, because I had a dwarf drown when my attempt to pierce an aquifer went fatally awry.  He started generating miasma and disappeared, his bones only reappearing after it had cleared.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »

Well yeah, that too. Maybe "l"ooking finally takes line of sight into account?