Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More secretive legends mode and others  (Read 515 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
More secretive legends mode and others
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:23:13 am »

Hi!

With people pondering the historian challenge and I myself also considering hidden legends the real default, I thought it would be good to have a look at legend mode.

First of all, I noticed that the ages include all important events like wars and duels as well as all rampages, even if legends are hidden.

While I can understand the wars and dragon slayings, I think it is a bit overkill to have all abductions of human children listed right from the start or each and every rampage of a giant. These are local events which are good for discovery by an adventurer visiting the affected communities.

So, I suggest to hide most if not all of the unimportant events initially.

Then, I started an adventurer, talked a bit to my local mayor before getting myself killed by a cyclops. When I checked the legends, I was kind of disappointed:

All kills of the cyclops were listed both historically and at the bottom of his CV. I am quite positive that I heard of maybe a dozen or so of them in the game, and the others were unknown to my character. This is especially sad since the mayor talked about 70 killings when giving me the quest, but the cyclops had more than 120 killings actually, many of which were elves, so I assume the mayor simply ignored those from different civilizations.

Again, I think that only the killings I have uncovered should be listed so that you really can discover the world bit by bit via adventurer.

I also noted the following: All categories claim to have no uncovered entries, except for historical figures, which usually has a few dozen officially revealed. Checking on them, these are the deities which are always know. That's fine.

However, as stated above, the ages also have all important events uncovered. Yet, the ages show as 0 events uncovered!! I think this discrepancy is quite confusing and thus I suggest that all events that you can few should actually be counted as uncovered.

Currently, we have a problem that important events become relatively rare towards the end of world gen. Therefore, I suggest adding an indication to the legend main menu for how long an age lasted, like this:

Code: [Select]
Age of Myth (1 - 26)      xxx/yyy
Age of Legends (27 - 76)   uuu/ooo
Age of Heroes (77 - 237)   ppp/mmm
Age of Fairy Tales (238 - 1050)  nnn/www

Finally, I noticed that generating the view for "show all events" takes a lot of time. When I check on an event and then return to the age view, there is still a large delay, so I am wondering how much optimization has been done on this. If it is not already implemented, I would suggest storing the generated list in the RAM so that it need not be regenerated when you leave the event view.

Deathworks