Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recruitment  (Read 732 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recruitment
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:59:01 am »

In a previous version, we could ease potential recruits into activism, vastly improving the chance that they'll join (and IIRC improving their Heart).  We no longer have that option and I'm having trouble getting decent recruits (read:  not hippies).  I've spent quite some time chatting people up at night, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere.  I'm dirt-poor at the moment, so I haven't tried the $50 book option.  Is that how we ease them in now?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:04:07 am »

no, the easing in increased the chance in general (meaing they like *you* more), and gave juice in older versions (which leads to higher heart among other things).

in the latest version the easing in is defined by a more objective modifier of how strongly the feel for your cause (you'd think this is heart, but no- it's different), and you need persuasion to do this (book helps very little, if you're rolling in money anyway, you can use it, otherwise just train persuasion and get levels (to increase charisma))
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:16:54 pm »

Persuasion is easy if you have an all-E founder or have high Charisma.  Maybe recruit Hippies with really high Charisma and use THEM to recruit all those non-Hippies you want.  Of course that means the Hippies will need to get some Juice or Leadership after you recruit them, unless you find one who already has a point in Leadership.  Wondering about how to get Juice?  Check this out.  One good thing about Hippies: their high Heart and low Wisdom makes them very loyal and also helps out in other situations in the game where high Heart and low Wisdom are useful, such as Interrogation.  Of course, they are lovers, not fighters, so you will probably need them to recruit other people more suited for murder.  Mostly I use brainwashed CCS Vigilantes for all my murder needs, but there might be even better fighters.  Of course CCS bosses are awesome fighters but I can never seem to kidnap or recruit them.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:01:12 pm »

Since my previous post I managed, somehow, to bag a Professional Thief with 7 Stealth, 7 Disguise, 7 Sleight of Hand and 3 Security.  I don't know what Sleight of Hand does, really, but I want to teach it to my less violent goon squads.  Unfortunately, the Teaching Other Liberals activity doesn't list it under any category.  Does anyone know?  I don't want to waste what is, right now, a bloody fortune just to figure out which category it's in (Street Survival?  Covert Actions?).

I also found a Plumber with 3 Tactics.  That's pretty high for a non-military class.  I assume that either does awesome things in combat or is an interrogation skill (the Soldier's equivalent of Business).

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:18:23 am »

Regarding Sleight of Hand: "The skill is used to steal objects and use/destroy conservative contraptions without raising suspicion." according to the wiki.  I think I read elsewhere on this forum that the only way to learn Sleight of Hand is to commit crimes (stealing stuff, unlocking doors, freeing prisoners, etc.) in front of Conservatives (so they actually see you do it right in front of them).  And since it is not listed under any of the Teaching categories, I don't think it can be taught.

Regarding Tactics: According to the main guy programming this, Johnathan S. Fox, "I'm not sure I've ever seen a character start with Tactics skill (which is good; it's not used for anything yet)."  Now of course some characters do start with Tactics skill... but it does not do anything at all, as far as I know.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL