Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wells above each other?  (Read 523 times)

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wells above each other?
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

I've been trying to set up my dwarf housing with a central meeting room on each z-level of the housing area.

To prevent each level below the top living area having a channel in it, I tried using hatch covers (agh), bars and grates, but none of them seem to let buckets through.

So now with each z-1 I make one more channel in the room ... no one dropped in so far.

code:

#.....o.....#
#....._o....#
#.....__o...#
#.....___o..#
######____###
######____############
###~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X
######################

#wall
. floor
o well
_ channel
~ water
X floodgate to brook

Erm, buckets can't pass through wells below them, can they? I was trying to get to this setup but I seem to keep failing.
Side view:

code:

#.....o.....#
#.....o.....#
#.....o.....#
######_######
###~~~~~~~###

Did I miss something totally obvious?

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wells above each other?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:52 pm »

I've been forced to do something similar, but perhaps not as stylish. Myself, I'm just looking for a way to prevent the well-diving issue. There was a discussion regarding a plan to make a difference between grates and bars, perhaps bucket-ability would be one of them.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »

From tries I made in the precedent version, I'm pretty sure that wells can be built above each others, but it could have changed, and since I lost this save, I can't test it once again.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:55 pm »

I haven't tried the latest versions to come out in the last couple of days, but as of 38c wells can be stacked over each other.  I've even seen the bucket being lowered when the soldiers fill their waterskins. :)