Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a new designated antagonist? Try Automatons.  (Read 1131 times)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Need a new designated antagonist? Try Automatons.
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:59:41 pm »

Behold the lifeless automaton. It exists only to consume, and to destroy.

Inspired by both the ancient tales of Automatons, and those lovely little perpetrators of the Greymarch from Oblivion.

Pretty much, I'm trying to create a designated antagonist now that goblins are being ambiguous in terms of wanting to gut people.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My little devlog: I write as I go along trying to figure out if it works.

The results of my efforts proved worthwhile. I don't even really need any of it's ethics tags, as I thought I would, since civs that can't communicate will just fight with one another endlessly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Summery of the reports: Automatons get in lots of war with consistently high numbers, but never manage to win anything.

However, my limited modding skills only go so far. I'd like some help in making these things more deadly.

I know adding the [CAN_LEARN] tag would make them more deadly, but from what I figured out while monkeying around with things, it makes them too deadly; they easially butcher the nearby humans and whomever and then proceed to sit around and do nothing.

Mostly, I just want them to be hostile to all life, so you can't just wander into a tower in adventure mode and not get horribly mauled. They're already pretty good at picking fights as is. However, like I said, I'm an amatuer, so any improvments you think should be part of it, go on ahead.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new designated antagonist? Try Automatons.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:13:15 pm »

Wait, did you do a full translation LANGUAGE_AUTOMATON.txt?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:19:37 pm »

That would be a 'no' in that department.

As I said, I don't really know anything, besides what I taught myself and what was on the wiki.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:15 pm »

Changing the language files isn't so much knowledge as it is perseverance.  It is remarkably boring work, and you need to keep track of each and every word you put in for fear of duplicates.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:38:38 pm »

I personally asked about
   [trANSLATION:AUTOMATON]
Why is the "tr" in lowercase and what is the AUTOMATON translation then?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:29:20 pm »

Alot of robots recently...As for the lowercase it's like that sometimes whenever you copy and paste over.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:23:11 pm »

That? I just stuck in 'automaton' instead of whatever race was there before. The game hasn't given me any errors about it, so I just never thought about it.

And robots are fun. And these are mythical robots! You can't top that.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:45:41 pm »

How about some different attacks, something along the lines of '[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:whirring, saw:whirring, saws:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]' maybe?  They might also benefit from some more custom and devastating ranged weapons.  Also, why would slavery be unthinkable to brutal robot overlords?

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:11 pm »

I figured they'd think it was unthinkable because they hate life, period, and taking something as a slave would be rather pointless compared to destroying the waste of precious resources.

And yeah, I like the whole 'wirring saws' idea. Better than just having them use weapons, which I've been doing.

And ranged weapon... hmmm. Would it be possible to have a crossbow instead of an arm? Or would that be overkill?

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:44 pm »

And ranged weapon... hmmm. Would it be possible to have a crossbow instead of an arm? Or would that be overkill?

I'm pretty sure that's impossible right now, the only natural ranged attacks available now are fire breath and webs, IIRC.  Just give them only one new ranged weapon in their entity file and that should be the only one they ever use in battle.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:10 pm »

you can also add the :forced tag instead of common, in entity descriptions

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:54:41 am »

I think you can put N/A of something to that effect on the ETHIC eat things. Not sure what exactly it was. I think the kobolds have one in their entity file.

Here it is:
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:THEFT:NOT_APPLICABLE]
I think that makes it so they don't care if you take their stuff or something. Since automatons don't eat, eating doesn't apply to them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:56:14 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 02:52:49 am »

I thought 'Acceptable' meant nobody cared if you stole stuff. N/A would just indicate that they don't have any sense of personal property in the first place. Or something.

I'll tack that on for the food thing. The ethics are actually very unimportant for these guys. Since they can't communicate, they'll just get in neverending wars with people over it. Sign language is a lost art.