Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b] Resources increased?  (Read 622 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b] Resources increased?
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:35 pm »

Is it just me or does everyone notice that their are WAY more of the non-standard resources on the maps now?  I'm talking about the Mica, Olivine, Chromite, Kaolinite, Marcasite, etc.  In older versions I was able to dig for a while before hitting these and they were fairly sparse.  The new client seems to have these in spades.  I even had a mountain map that was ( I swear ) 60% Obsidian.  I just checked it with 3Dwarf and there's no magma to be found and I just finished clearing out a 20x20 cluster of Olivine.  I have a load of green stone.

Thoughts?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39b] Resources increased?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »

I havent seen this, normally I find non-standard stones quite quick into the ground. About the obsidian are you sure you looks at all the biomes and you dont have a layer of it? You dont need magma on the map, it could be a vent on the next regional sqaure.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:59:36 pm »

I havent seen this, normally I find non-standard stones quite quick into the ground. About the obsidian are you sure you looks at all the biomes and you dont have a layer of it? You dont need magma on the map, it could be a vent on the next regional sqaure.
The obsidian was on the regional map when I started.  I loaded it figuring Obsidian.. must be a magma vent here... not a single one.  I've never seen this in the old client when looking for magma using obsidian as my reference.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:53 pm »

Sounds like a good thing to me. There was never enough variation in stone for my tastes in the last version.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:21:36 pm »

last version i was drowning in obsidian and the lower regions were laced with the green stuff.
It might be your vent is buried, it happens you know. ;)

in v 39a I had a world made out of rocksalt, of all minerals.
my current map is fairly basic various grey materials with outcroppings of (hey!)  ortoclase...very little gems and no ores though...
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:37:34 pm »

last version i was drowning in obsidian and the lower regions were laced with the green stuff.
It might be your vent is buried, it happens you know. ;)

in v 39a I had a world made out of rocksalt, of all minerals.
my current map is fairly basic various grey materials with outcroppings of (hey!)  ortoclase...very little gems and no ores though...
Maybe I've just been extremely luck then the past 5 or so map gens.

And I checked for the magma vent with 3Dwarf which shows hidden structures like vents and chasms unless you do the no_hidden extract (and I didn't)