Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 38c mac - macbook-specific graphics issues  (Read 830 times)

nerdfish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
38c mac - macbook-specific graphics issues
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:40:32 pm »

(Apologies if this has been posted or discussed already, I was unable to find it.)

DF runs roughly 30 times slower on a "White -08" MacBook running 10.5.4 than a "Late 2006" iMac running the same OS version. For instance, on the MacBook there is a visible delay (half a second? I can try screencasting it for documentation purposes) between every frame of the Bay 12 logo movie, as well as the intro movie. The game itself presents in a similar fashion, with visible delays between every displayed frame. The behavior is consistent regardless of the GRAPHICS setting in init.txt. There is a separate Mac bug related to this setting which I will post another thread about to make things clean.

World generation time on both machines is comparable, with the MacBook being somewhat faster, which leads me to believe this is graphics related. Disabling or enabling mouse/sound support makes no difference. Perhaps the GMA X3100 OpenGL drivers, or DF interaction with them, are flawed?

If using BootCamp, the MacBook has no visible performance issues.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: 38c mac - macbook-specific graphics issues
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:28:06 am »

Yeah, if it's in the opening movie, it's likely the OpenGL support, but I don't know macs very well so I wouldn't commit on that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!