Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4e d&d worldgen modding  (Read 820 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
4e d&d worldgen modding
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:14:12 pm »

I'd like to set up worldgen species to simulate the 4th edition d&d races, in an experiment to see if the compelling worlds of Dwarf Fortress work for d&d.

Some thoughts:
-Goblins and Kobolds can be left as-is, I think, although goblins might have to lose Babysnatcher.
-Halflings should not exist, or should be like kobolds.
-Elves, of course, need to be less violent and cannibalistic. Orcs can take the place of the current elves.
-Tieflings and Dragonborn don't exist in my world, but I will set up data for them for those that use them.

Any other thoughts from d&ders? I think in terms of worldgen, megabeast numbers need to be much higher, as do caves. That is easy enough. Might be nice to mod in more d&d type megabeasts, too, but I am fine with just retroactively changing names of what kind of creature one was.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: 4e d&d worldgen modding
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:53 pm »

If you speak of dnd races, add some drow in (make them only mountain-detailed-cave dwellers and make a small amount of their civs).
Also there should be small amount of duergar. You may skip duergar though because they EXTREMELY rarely venture to the surface. Drow make raids though.
I don't think that tieflings should be in as entities, they are planar and I don't think that their cities are appropriate on "dnd earth".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:36:42 pm »

Ech. Drow. yes, one could add them.

I'm actually growing increasingly inclined to simply make a couple races boringly named "forces of darkness" or something. There are too many major villain races in d&d, and giving them a generic name makes it easy for the adapting GM to decide which force was which. I'm not sold on that though.

Also I could use some help making megabeasts more common. How do I do that? It's looking like I need literally hundreds of dragons or something.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:35:37 pm »

Make some entities of cave-dwelling megabeasts, and you're set.
I don't like generic "forces of darkness" because it will be just 1 kind of creature.
And I'd better battle goblins, orcs and drow than "you hack the force of darkness in the right arm with your weapon of light".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:52 pm »

Ah, you're thinkign for playing adventure mode, i see. I was intending this for designing worlds for pencil and paper games, but it wouldn't hurt to make it fun to play for regular DF stuff too.