Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infinite fish!  (Read 1874 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infinite fish!
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:30:44 am »

I may have found a really useful exploit. I've noticed that when water is pumped from aquifers, fish come out too, strangely. In theory, it could be possible to pump a crap load of water onto a grate and sit back and let the fish pile up!  ;D

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite fish!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:57:53 am »

I'd have to test it, but I don't think the fish are pumped.  It's just that fish "spawn" in water filled areas.  If you had a floor grate draining the room constantly, the fish would probably never "spawn" there.  If you had a pump pumping water into a one tile area with a wall grate to let water out, the fish might spawn there, but they would "vanish" after a while.  I'm not 100% sure on this though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:17 pm »

Meh, they spawned pretty quickly so it sorta looked like they were coming from the aquifer. Either way, I have to try this some time  8)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:33:23 am »

Well then just pump the water into a tank with a floor hatch in the bottom that leads to a grate,when full open the hatch and away goes the water and you should have a bunch of floppin fish around!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:59 am »

Can the fish be collected for processing thou?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:01:37 am »

Can the fish be collected for processing thou?

Methinks thou hast a good point. Yon fish may well expire and hence produce naught but vile odoriferous purple clouds. Mayhap excavating a pond and extricating thine piscine morsels the traditional way is more advantageous. Forsooth.

:P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:57 am »

Sadly, the fish that you see on the screen are actually vermin. You can't catch them. They appear and disappear as they wish, just like the land-based vermin that randomly show up in your perfectly sealed fortress, having somehow traversed a lava moat, three layers of traps, and lots of stairways.

If you ever get some of these vermin-fish in shallow water, you can watch your fortress cats go and kill them. Left behind are not usable dead fish, but rather little purple squiggles of rotting refuse.