Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves uprising?  (Read 848 times)

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
Elves uprising?
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:42:13 am »

I'm not sure if this is a big or feature. I went to a human occupied elven town (oddly, I when I chose to start there I ended up in the capital), where there was far more elves than humans. I noticed that I couldn't talk to the elves. Suddenly I accidentally walked in an elf's direction, and attacked him by default! Suddenly fighting erupted all over the town, with peasants and children struggling in vain against the hordes of elves. I managed to kill a few, but was swarmed.

My second adventurer got the task of killing an elf druid in that town. I went there, started in the meadhall when I entered, and found out it was crawling with elves. Om nom nom.

If this is a feature, it's cool as hell. But I suspect it isn't.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves uprising?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:08:50 am »

Perhaps the world gen stopped during a battle?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:12:11 am »

No, it's more like the humans overran the elves, and the elves are none too happy about humans in their towns, so they won't speak with you (you are at war with them, nominally). When you bumped into one and attacked, the elves were tipped over and started attacking humans on sight. I think it's a feature, except a town full of prisoner elves should be packed with a lot more guards that aren't un-sleep-conscious.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:25:58 am »

I doubt it's a feature. I've had the same thing and checked the legends. My particular elven retreat had been conquered by the humans since 19 and had been at peace for 900 years, with human rulers controlling the place and no conflicts whatsoever. The moment I created my adventurer, every single elf who was living happily till then swarmed me.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:27:46 am »

Maybe you were in a particular civilisation who's still at war with the elves ?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:35:58 am »

Maybe you were in a particular civilisation who's still at war with the elves ?
There was only one human and one elven civilization. The humans conquered and enslaved the elves. They were at peace for 900 years.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:50:42 am »

Aha, though. They enslaved them. Therefore, the slaves would eventually break free, peace or no.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:38:59 am »

I've had the elves attack and fight upon entering an enslaved retreat as well.  Thing is, they didn't keep fighting.  It's like some vocal minority was up in arms and then got slaughtered.

I got an elven swords...elf to join me.  "Anyplace has to be better than here.  Let's go!" or somesuch.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:16:24 am »

I think i know what happened. Those where the elves that fled into the surrounding forests. Since they like to live in forest retreats, they gather around forest retreat sites. But since they can't settle there, they just hang around.

I could talk to mine though, they all said to wait till they got home. I also once found a place where the elves told me there was no capital.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:38:38 am »

That's possible. The legends screen says most of them fled. Also, I noticed an elf attacking an elf child on my last visit. Maybe the child was a slave.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:40 am »

Yeah, I haven't handled migrants yet (that was that step I skipped), so it resettles them into sites, whether appropriate or not (it tries to match the general type).  Of course, this often means they'll be sorted in with the people that evicted them in the first place.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!