Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing default departure setup  (Read 698 times)

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing default departure setup
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:15 am »

I know the departure screen is only a slight amount of time spent once, but is there a way to change the default? I'd be more willing to explore if embarking didn't take me so much tedious adjusting.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Changing default departure setup
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:28 am »

You can change the default embark area by going into the init.txt file and changing those numbers.  I don't think any of the other defaults can be changed at this point, you have to do it manually each time.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »

You can always become a master at overcoming 'Play Now' limitations.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 03:16:30 pm »

I created an AutoHotKey script with my default loadout. Still takes a bit of time, but at least I can grab a drink while it's running.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »

Saves me a lot of time trying to pick my dwarves skills this way :) also I don't get so annoyed when one of my would have been carefully crafted first dwarves die either.

I created an AutoHotKey script with my default loadout. Still takes a bit of time, but at least I can grab a drink while it's running.

I can't use autohotkey :( doesn't seem to like wine...
Makes some things painful. Personally I hope for some kind of ingame scripting system but somehow I doubt it'll turn up.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 06:02:16 pm »

Doesn't Tweak have an option for this? Though I don't think it does for the newest version, tweak didn't work when I tried in the latest.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 06:48:24 pm »

This is what I've started doing. Your setup isn't usually great but it's not terrible either and it's ALOT faster. You keep the anvil, which is silly, but I usually waste all the points on eleventy billion food anyway which is just as silly so it evens out I guess.

I really wish there was a way to make startup profiles so you could pick and choose once and then tweak it from there for other forts.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!