Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 Layer Aquifier without stones  (Read 641 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
2 Layer Aquifier without stones
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:14:49 am »

hey there, i just wanted to try out some flatland fortress above a 4 level clay/sand with 2 levels of aquifier, but how i am able to dig through 2 levels of aquifier without stone (no mechanism).
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Layer Aquifier without stones
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:47:15 am »

hey there, i just wanted to try out some flatland fortress above a 4 level clay/sand with 2 levels of aquifier, but how i am able to dig through 2 levels of aquifier without stone (no mechanism).
Does water freeze on your map in the winter?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:11:49 am »

You could always import stone when the caravan arrives, and wait till next year. If the aquifer is a stone one instead of a soil/sand one, you might be able to find ore veins and dig through them with a bit of exploration.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:12:16 am »

If your maps doesn't freeze, you might be able to build enough screw pumps and windmills out of wood to let you pierce through the aquifers. Aquifers take in water like they put it out so you should pump from the aquifer into the aquifer.

Build a circle of pumps around a 3x3 area, get them all going at the same time and build constructed walls out of wood on the inside of the 3x3 area to stop water from flowing in (you'll need to build a staircase in the middle tile). Pump out 3x3 areas and add walls in blacks around that area so you can expand the dry area so you can do build a 3x3 shaft through the second aquifer.

Pumps and windmills don't need mechanisms, but you'll have to build the windmills right on top of the pumps.

Thats should work, at least in theory. Would be a big undertaking though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:13:51 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.