Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wepons/tools for non-military?  (Read 900 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Wepons/tools for non-military?
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:56:43 am »

I've only just started to poke my nose in to the RAWs, so this is probably a stupid question, but...

...is it possible to have dwarves of a certain profession automatically take up certain tools/weapons?  Sorta like a woodcutter grabs an axe or a hunter an x-bow?

I'm visualising creating tridents (ie. spears) for fisherdwarves, sledgehammers for metal/blacksmiths, etc.  Items that'd do less damage than the military equivalents but would still train the dwarf up in the relevant skill and be handy to have in a pinch if caught by surprise in a gobbo ambush.

I imagine the answer is "no" but thought I'd ask first before giving myself a headache trying to work it out (or posting it under the "Suggestions" section and discovering the answer is "yes."    ;) )
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Wepons/tools for non-military?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:08:56 am »

Mmmmmm.... no. Can't quite do that in DF. What you can do is create new weapons that use those skills- such as a "smith's hammer" that uses metalsmithing, or a "slapstick" that uses comedian- and use those in adventurer mode. You even gain skill in that area, even though you wouldn't normally be able to have a blacksmith adventurer.

There has been discussion of the possibility of your idea in the future.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 07:34:21 am »

There definitely should be some "tools arc". But it should go to suggestions then.
Why do the dwarves mine with picks and chop with axes while smoothing walls and forging swords with bare hands?
Well, you can tell me that there's already an equipment in the workshop but at least we may need some tools for engraving/fishing/cleaning(soap+broom? I actually think that there may be a mult-use soap + broom made by carpenter for the cleaning jobs and make an appropriate skill; thus some immigrants may grab a broom and start cleaning things out).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 09:21:31 am »

There definitely should be some "tools arc". But it should go to suggestions then.
Why do the dwarves mine with picks and chop with axes while smoothing walls and forging swords with bare hands?
Well, you can tell me that there's already an equipment in the workshop but at least we may need some tools for engraving/fishing/cleaning(soap+broom? I actually think that there may be a mult-use soap + broom made by carpenter for the cleaning jobs and make an appropriate skill; thus some immigrants may grab a broom and start cleaning things out).

I think it would be fun, especially as part of the adventurer skills arc. An adventurer can't lug around a workshop, but he can carry a knife (for cleaning fish, whittling, skinning animals, etc.). An adventurer definitely can't just build a wood burner, kitchen, or smelter in the middle of nowhere, but he can always gather some dry fallen limbs and leaves and build a campfire. He can't have a fully functional smithy with anvil, but a campfire, a rock, and a hammer would do for simple work.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:28:51 am »

I doubt about campfire as smithy... Too low temperature, burning wood can't be enough. But if Toady ties it to magma...
Come find some magma went and make a sword standing at the edge of the glowing pipe burning alive of heat =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »

I doubt about campfire as smithy... Too low temperature, burning wood can't be enough. But if Toady ties it to magma...
Come find some magma went and make a sword standing at the edge of the glowing pipe burning alive of heat =).

Course, if the adventurer has a pick, he can dig out some stone and build a stationary furnace and bank up the wood fire until it is hot enough. Course he'll need an anvil to do any actual sort of smithing. Smithing is not a real mobile skill.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:06:12 pm »

Does anyone know if civilians pick up weapons if they have the same skill requirement as a current labour they have enabled? One thing I am trying to mod into my DF is that there are more weapons that use civilian skills so they can make an instant militia much like current miners.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 04:12:14 am »

I don't know but you can equip your legendaries with axes if you enable woodcutting on them, this is safe if you don't cut any trees/are on glacier.
I think it's hardcoded because an axe does not use woodcutting, it uses AXE skill but it's still equipped.

However it may be posted in the suggestions thread.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬