Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod Request/Idea: Dynamite  (Read 1311 times)

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod Request/Idea: Dynamite
« on: July 05, 2008, 04:00:05 pm »

I was thinking about how to get my dwarves out of the danger zone of a magma tunnel, and I came up with dynamite.

Would it be possible? I'm thinking it'd be a "building" that would either:
1) be timed to explode a certain number of ticks after it was set; or
2) linked to a lever or pressure plate, like a support (my favorite).

It'd be handy for those delicate water and/or magma breaches.

Of course, the explosion would be big:

Code: [Select]
before:
#####
#####
##!##
##.##
##.##

after:
#####
##.##
#...#
##.##
##.##

or maybe:
#####
#...#
#...#
#...#
##.##

#=wall
.=floor
!=dynamite

Anyway. I'm not a coder, so I dunno if it's possible. But there it is. Ideas? Thoughts? Ridicule? :D
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Request/Idea: Dynamite
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:30:24 pm »

This is beyond the scope of modding.  You can make things that explode, but you can't cause them to detonate without dropping magma (or something else on fire) on them, and the explosion won't damage the walls.

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 04:46:31 pm »

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe sometime in the future - seems to me I recall hearing about burrowing creatures being in the plans? Maybe something could be done with that.

Oh well. Thanks!
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:14:41 pm »

This reminds me of a little reaction I made... When uranium (...yep) was introduced to the smelters, It produced a custom stone that boiled at room temperature, producing a cloud of deadly gas that froze any creature that was near the smelter.

Absolutely useless in most aspects, since it kills the furnace operator and usually disappates before the goblins arrive, but as a gas chamber, it made for an epic means of capital punishment/noble disposal.

Kivesh McDwarf: "What? Turtle shell items? Yeah, they're over there. In the smelter. In the airtight room near the caskets. Next to that shiny grey metal."
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

notxmania

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:25:15 pm »

This reminds me of a little reaction I made... When uranium (...yep) was introduced to the smelters, It produced a custom stone that boiled at room temperature, producing a cloud of deadly gas that froze any creature that was near the smelter.

Absolutely useless in most aspects, since it kills the furnace operator and usually disappates before the goblins arrive, but as a gas chamber, it made for an epic means of capital punishment/noble disposal.

Kivesh McDwarf: "What? Turtle shell items? Yeah, they're over there. In the smelter. In the airtight room near the caskets. Next to that shiny grey metal."

OH GOD I NEED THAT REACTION/STONE.

Raws good sir?
Screw this I can't think of a sig and this will be an eternal reminder of my writer's block and frustration.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:31:37 pm »

I may have messed with these since then, but these should have been reverted to the raws I used for the gas chamber. Let me know if they don't work.

[MATGLOSS_STONE:HIDDEN_FUN_STONE]
[NAME:HIDDEN FUN STONE][COLOR:5:7:1][TILE:'H']
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[VALUE:1500]
[MELTING_POINT:0]
[BOILING_POINT:1]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]

"HIDDEN FUN STONE," was something I made to make mining more of a pain in the ass in a mod I lost interest in. Although I made a few minor releases of the mod, I don't think I ever told anyone about the HIDDEN FUN STONE, which may have caused a few bursts of angry rage now and then, a few seconds after someone discovered it for the first time.

[REACTION:DETONATE_URANIUM]
[NAME:detonate smelter]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:xxxx]
[PRODUCT:100:50:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:HIDDEN_FUN_STONE]

Add [FUEL] to the end of the second one, if you so wish. The enriched uranium I made was hard to come by, so substitute any metal you wish (or stone, though that requires the item tag for stone), though I can give you the raws I used for the uranium if you want them. You can also change the names of the reaction, maybe to DETONATE_GRANITE and "gas chamber," or something. I don't care.

Again, let me know if they don't work. A few important-looking lines from the error log would also be helpful.

Don't forget, it won't blow holes in walls like the topic creator wanted, it just kills creatures.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:33:37 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:34:18 am »

This sounds like a good idea; it should clear a 3x3x3 area, stemming from the dynamite.

I like the idea of using levers too. This thread should be made in the support bit, it's great!

MoonMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 10:09:19 am »

If you wanted you could add a smelter reaction that changes Saltpeter into something that can be brewed, since alchohol is already explosive. Problem is you'd need to rig up something with magma or firebreathing animals to set it off.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:37:34 am »

But the alcohol is not explosive, it just burns...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 11:53:54 am »

No. The barrel burns, and the beer explosively evaporates because the barrel transported its burning heat. It would normally boil sooner, and at less temperature, but with the barrel it becomes a chainreacting explosion.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:38:01 am »

I made 40,000 units of dwarven wine recently and flooded the chamber with magma. The (cheated for) iron barrels melted and fizzed out, puffing little clouds of boiling wine.

Not fun D=
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.