Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves keep visiting an outdoor spot?  (Read 1645 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves keep visiting an outdoor spot?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 03:34:37 am »

Ditto.  I've a couple of dwarves that like to climb to the top of my highest constructions and just...  stand there.  I've seen others that wander out to the edges of cliffs, rivers, etc. and do the same. 

Mine're always "On Break" when it happens, so that may be a clue...   I like to think they're dwarves with mental problems: they're out there to enjoy the view.  "One serve of landscape without so many rocks, please."

I don't mind it so much, although I prefer it when it's wandering cats that find goblin ambushers and not my legendary Weaponsmith out to watch the sunset.   It just means one more spot to put a Sentry Tower nearby. [shrug]

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:37:25 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 05:14:08 am »

I always set a single square meeting zone inside my fortress and find I never have this problem. Any dwarves on break go to this spot rather than the wagon starting area or nearby.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 10:47:03 am »

I have also noticed this. Some of my soldiers will, when off duty, walk to a far away location and then back. This is independent of any meeting areas I have (statue gardens, meeting halls,etc.)

It seemed like they were trying to 'patrol' the outer edges of my fort - they would always go to the farthest possible point at which they can still be next to one of my walls (sometimes requiring a walk halfway around the map to get to the other side of a tower built high on a mountain, resulting in many a death to ambushes). So I made the wall inaccessible from the outer edge by channeling a moat a few tiles away from it, along its length, then built some stairs up from a lower z-level to give them safer access to the outer edge. Since then I have never seen them go the long way around, so they must be pathing to the wall. Hope this helps.
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 11:43:35 am »

If you saw the average russian movie "The 9th Company" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9th_Company) there's exactly the same moment. One guy was too creative to be a soldier, when other soldiers were still sleeping he went on sunset to the edge of a high cliff to paint a dawn and was shot by the enemy ambushers directly in his forehead. It so reminds me my dwarves.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]