Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning dwarfs & bridges  (Read 973 times)

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Drowning dwarfs & bridges
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:32:22 pm »

ok so my map ices over in the winter, and i also have a big river in my map so that when it ices over there there is alot of ice XD

well i kinda have two problems first one is that the river is to long for me to put a bridge across so i was thinking that i could make a "floor" across the river but then it cant retract it.

also when it ices over; my dwarfs run on the ice with is ok. but then it melts and they fall through the ice and drowned (not cool)
ive tried to set it ass a restricted zone but they still go there so...

what kind of things can i do for the bridge and to stop my dwarfs from dieing in the spring?

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning dwarfs & bridges
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:50:04 pm »

First, you could construct a floor part way across then bridge the rest of the way... but seriously you have a river so wide that you can't bridge it? That's really wide!

Once you have an alternate route, your restricting might work better.  Otherwise bring them in during late winter so they won't die in early spring

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:53:58 pm »

And when you have an alternate route, mark that as the preferred route (the low-cost path). The dwarves are less likely to walk across the restricted water this way.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:17:30 pm »

Is the river more than 20 squares wide?

If not, you'll be just fine making two bridges, end-to-end, and retracting them. If it somehow is, you can either shorten the distance to 10/20 squares wide with flooring tile and then create your double-bridge, or just ensure through whatever engineering mechanism you with that all the bridges have a solid anchor - putting walls along one/both side of the bridge, for example, will let the bridges safely retract without creating a path that unwelcome Things can traverse.

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:49:48 pm »

i counted and the spot where i think is the best for a bridge and it is 33-34 squares wide, its a very big river lol. can you post pictures on here? i could show you it then.

but its kinda cool to have i was thinking about making floor spots over the river or something and trying to make a fortress like thing thats over water XD this fortress im im playing now is for the most part an above ground fortress. i did put a few things like storage and farms under ground but ya its kinda fun like village ive made

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:20:07 pm »

33 squares wide, that's impressive. Anyway, yeah, there's no reason it can't work.

Just make sure that there will be something solid, connected to solid, bordering each individual bridge. IE, bridge it across with three full 10x10 bridges (and 4 floor tiles), and build a long wall along each side of the bridge. That way, you can still retract the bridges with a lever, and they won't de-construct.

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:40:25 pm »

ya putting walls along my bridges worked really well and now i got a cool birdge across the river XD

im also starting to work on my over water buildings that should be fun

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:55:10 pm »

Also, to stop the drownings dig a few ramps on your side of the river. I've never tested it in a river, but I know dwarves who have fallen into a pond with 7 deep water can pathfind their way out as long as they have a ramp.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:59 am »

thats what i was thinking