Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can someone please give me a definitive answer on this?  (Read 811 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Can someone please give me a definitive answer on this?
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:19:58 pm »

Right, so I've been trawling through the the forum backlogs with the search function to try and get a certain answer to this, but I've had no luck. My question, quite simply, is this: Can anyone confirm whether or not raised drawbridges are still indestructible?

I've searched through quite a few old topics and found a number of either incomplete or conflicting answers, several topics actually ending just after the question is brought up. The conflicting information is mainly that the bridges were indestructible in the old 2-D version, anecdotes of trolls and (I believe) megabeasts happily ignoring raised bridges (which, if understand BUILDINGDESTROYER:2, supports them being indestructible or at least ignorable) while megabeasts should actively seek out constructions to destroy and trolls should smash them to get by, but then the simple explanation that "if you can 'q'->'x' it, then a troll can smash it" contradicts this.

The reason I care enough to ask (I mean, I'm going to build that moat anyways, right?) is partly because I've got this idea kicking around the back of my head for a nicely compartmentalized fortress and it would be nice to be able to both seal and flood a given area- something I don't want to try if a troll that got in there for whatever reason can destroy the one thing keeping the rest of my fort dry.

Any time you give to reading this topic is appreciated, as are definitive answers and thoughts on the puzzle of sealing a part of the fort safely while safely dealing with the nasties sealed in.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone please give me a definitive answer on this?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »

Im sorry I cant give a definitive answer because they may be destoyable but worry not, If you break thier pathfinding by making it impossible to get to the raised portion of the bridge when its raised building destroyers cant destroy the bridge. Path finding rules are to perform a action on an item a unit must be able to path find to both side of the raised bridge so if youve got it channeled/Moated nothing should be able to destoy said raised bridge.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:03 am »

unless its a flyer or swimmer.  I have heard from several sources that demons break bridges if you try to drop a bridge ON them, but I have not heard wither or not they can smash raised bridges.

I do know that they can either fly or swim, depending on what kind of demon youre talking about.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:31 am »

I already knew about putting channels in front of (well, under) bridges to make them totally impenetrable, I was just trying to confirm whether or not they were indestructible without them. For most purposes this doesn't actually matter- the only times things are going to have building destroyer in a normal game is during sieges or with a megabeast and you don't those flush with your wall anyways, but if they are unbreakable when raised then it opens up some new possibilities.

I could have said that clearer and earlier. Thanks for the replies, though, and if anyone can answer my question it would be very much appreciated.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:54:08 am »

Suggestion: make goblins building destroyers and early seigers. Test.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 10:57:12 am »

Yeah, but I'm lazy. :P
You're right that it's probably the best solution, though. I guess I'll get around to it in a bit and post results.
(Oh, by "early siegers" do you just mean "Remove the [BABY_SNATCHER] tag or what?)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:31:33 pm »

I've been playing with a goblin mod, umiman's a better goblin mod that gives my goblins building destroyer.  I just got razed last night and while all my workshops were sacked, none of my bridges were harmed.

A raised drawbridge is still as indestructable as it was in 2d DF.  ... with perhaps the exception of dropping them on the heads of demons or something exotic

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:50 pm »

Ah! Excellent! Thanks very much for the answer, you've saved me the trouble of messing around with a throwaway fort. Everything is going according to plan...