Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newb problems w/ tasks & strange moods  (Read 1044 times)

Nick the Nevermet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
newb problems w/ tasks & strange moods
« on: July 12, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »

Hi.
New to the game, love it.

A few problems, though.  First, how do you keep dwarves from going beserk?

Second, sometimes I have dwarves who were just won't work.  For example, I have a forge.  I also have smelted iron bars, coke made from coal, and a dwarf who has weaponsmith, armorsmith, & blacksmith.  However, no matter what I do, I can't get him to make an iron pick.  I've tried ordering it through the job manager window, and also by giving it a new task directly.

What am I forgetting?  Thanks in advance.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: newb problems w/ tasks & strange moods
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:02:33 pm »

Do the tasks just sit in the queue un-taken, or does it tell you that Urist McLazydwarf has canceled a task?

Nick the Nevermet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:14:49 pm »

It sits in the queue untaken.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 05:29:40 pm »

Check workshop permissions with P and make sure your dude is allowed to work at that workshop.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 05:53:11 pm »

Hi.
New to the game, love it.

A few problems, though.  First, how do you keep dwarves from going beserk?

Booze.

Second, sometimes I have dwarves who were just won't work.  For example, I have a forge.  I also have smelted iron bars, coke made from coal, and a dwarf who has weaponsmith, armorsmith, & blacksmith.  However, no matter what I do, I can't get him to make an iron pick.  I've tried ordering it through the job manager window, and also by giving it a new task directly

Does he have access to booze?

Not having a drop to drink in ages makes dwarves slow to work and reluctant to accept jobs.  If he has all those labors enabled (weaponsmithing is the one vital to pick making), the workshop profile ({q} -> {P}) allows all dwarves and he is still hanging out with No Job booze withdrawal induced laziness is my best guess.  Oughta get around to it eventually.

Second, don't use the manager.  Cancel the job there and cancel all the jobs manually at the forge.  Take a look at your guy, make sure that No Job is there, and create the job anew at the forge.  If that doesn't do the trick something more serious is at hand.  Most likely lack of booze.

Nick the Nevermet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:56:48 pm »

Done.
Not enough tme to see if it works.
Anything else?

Nick the Nevermet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 06:11:12 pm »

I'm getting confused.

I have 300 drinks ready for the guzzling, and I checked, he doesn't have a 'no booze' label.
Also, I took him and two other dwarves and removed every activity (including hauiling) other than things you would do at a forge.  I put into the job manager for the work to be done.  It has been validated.  I check the forge, and it is in the queue to make an iron pick.  BUT NO DWARF WILL GO THERE.  None of them.

The weirdest part is it used to work just fine.  I made 4 picks and an axe there already.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »

Did you break pathing there?  Build any walls recently?  Remove any stairs?

You have everything set up right (the job manager is an unnecesary step and I am still a little suspicious about it) and nothing should be keeping your dwarf from going to work.

Build another forge.  Don't have another anvil?  Try tearing down the first one.  That job needs metalsmithing too, see if he'll tear it down.

Nick the Nevermet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:22:57 pm »

gah... so irritating.  And I actually was making this fortress well, I thought.

ok... breaking it down and relocating it.

Nick the Nevermet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »

thanks
got it to work.
that was irritating

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »

One of the most common reasons for a working workshop (of any kind) to suddenly stop working (when you have the necessary jobs and all the necessary resources) is because something was built, or removed, which blocks the path to the workshop.  Just something to keep in mind.  :)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur