Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves start+emigrate w/o clothes  (Read 1359 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Dwarves start+emigrate w/o clothes
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:57:57 pm »

Very simple, let there be an init file option that all dwarves will start and emigrate into the fortress with no clothing on so that the player can avoid the item lag that comes with the often massive amounts of clothing the dwarves come with, and eventually piles up into XXheaps of useless clothingXX
Alternately, dwarves could also be set to not only drop, unclaim, and forbid their clothing, they could also be set to not claim ownership of clothing, the way military dwarves do with their equipment (They hold the item, but do not own it) This would let the player order it to be dumped at their leisure.

As well, doing this will let the player customise what their dwarves wear much more easilly, and jump-start the clothing stores when the economy is activated.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:20:57 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves start+emigrate w/o clothes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:47:06 am »

Clothing is not entirely useless - when it gets sufficiently cold, unclothed dwarves will take damage when they go outside.

You can "turn off" clothing in the raws quite easily. Just make certain you don't remove the armor options while you're there.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:53:58 am »

Clothing is not entirely useless - when it gets sufficiently cold, unclothed dwarves will take damage when they go outside.
There'd obviously be a line in the init file that would say something to that effect.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:58:43 am »

This makes me think about a whole different topic somehow... Scalable complexity. I mean, if we're going to make it so that clothing is a 'given,' why don't we just have every overly-complex portion turn-off-able? It would allow slower computers the option to run a (castrated) version of DWAAARF FORTRESS, resulting in more exposure and possibly entirely new sorts of gameplay. By dumbing down almost every element of the game, you could make DWAAARF FORTRESS into a sort of basic RTS, even. At the same time, you remove some of the core of what DWAAARF FORTRESS is to many of us, but it could produce a whole new group of fortressers who would otherwise turn up their noses at DWAAARF FORTRESS.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:17:13 pm »

words
I very often start the game using DF util so i can have 200 dwarves. If i were to enable seiges, the random assortment of clothing i were to get on those 200 dwarves would surely include giant cave spider silk or expensive leathers, and so i would almost immediately be seiged by the goblins; which is not nearly enough time to setup defenses. As well, with my system so taxed by 200 dwarves, enabling weather would be a death sentence.

Did i suggest an off switch for all clothing? NO.
I suggested that dwarves ENTER the fortress with no clothing on their bodies; as if the dwarves who approached the fortress stripped naked outside of the map boundaries before stepping into the gameplay area.

In fact, i think i'll add that to the original post; the dwarves drop all their clothing as they enter the fortress, unclaim it, and forbid it. Then, the player is free to do what they want with it.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:54:46 pm »

...I'm fairly certain you still have the clothing counted towards you wealth.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:12:29 pm »

An init option that simplified clothing to "spider silk clothes" or "copper plate armor" might be nice. You'd need the same amount of materials to make the whole suit, and carrying it would be slow because a full armor suit would weigh as much as some furniture. But you'd probably have to gen a new world with the option on otherwise what would you do with all the piecemeal clothing and armor?

Things held in the hands like shields, weapons, quivers, bolts etc would be left the same. Just combining clothing and armor.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 02:17:35 am »

Actually, the real solution for the problem is that abandoned clothing should be made disposable, or at least give the player the option to force the dwarves to dump it into liquid hot magma.

And somewhat related... add a laundry workshop related to the cleaning activity(and possibly new skill) that would wash muddied/bloodied clothes and work on general fort cleanness.