Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 482 skill point start  (Read 625 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
482 skill point start
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »

I'm trying something a bit different with my newest game, so I thought I'd post a thread to share. My starting equipment consists of a grand total of 1 pick, 1 axe, and 18 seeds. 482 points left over. That gets me:

Proficient Miner

Proficient Ambusher
Proficient Marksdwarf
Competent Cook
Potash Maker

Proficient Mason
Competent Brewer
Competent Woodcrafter

Proficient Carpenter
Proficient Stonecrafter
Competent Leatherworker

Proficient Woodcutter
Butcher
Fish Cleaner

Proficient Jeweler
Wood Burner
Tanner
Fisherdwarf

Proficient Grower
Competent Mechanic
Lye Maker

Getting food supplies to start with relies a lot on hunting, so I am for a location with a climate of "freezing" to keep the elephants away. It worked--the nastiest thing I've seen is the occasional cougar, and my hunter can take them out. At least so long as he has bolts--does anyone know any way to get him to stop picking up his dwindling pile of iron bolts every time I send him out, and have him use the nice fat stack of wood bolts I made for him instead?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: 482 skill point start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »

Put an ammo stockpile near the front door. If you have a spare bin, the bolts will usually be placed in there and the bin moved to the ammo pile, too.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:24:00 pm »

Just bumping this because I'm curious as to how it's working out so far. Starting off with no food seems a little risky...

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 11:34:00 pm »

I like the idea of making the fisherdwarf the jeweler. I've been giving my mason high jeweling, and only giving the fisherdwarf... 'fishy' skills, but for skills that are only occasionally used, it's a good idea. I'll have to do that, next time.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:37:00 pm »

It worked fine until winter, when 2 of my guys (including my only miner) got stuck permanently due to a bug. Then I started over (I'm a wuss that way).

Really, so long as the wildlife is good hunting, food isn't that much of a problem (build a refuse pile and change your

• rders so that your dwarves collect refuse from outdoors--then they'll go retrieve the corpses that the hunter leaves behind). Sacrificing tools is actually a bigger risk, unless you're willing to invest skill points to get a backup miner. Which is probably a good idea, because really half those skills I picked are pretty useless. My metalsmith came with a peasant sidekick who I set to work at the ashery, and he made lye and potash pretty much just as fast as the guys I gave skills for it.