Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpse List & DF changing civ embark dimensions.  (Read 1128 times)

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Corpse List & DF changing civ embark dimensions.
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:24:04 am »

Gday,

Is there anyway to clear the corpse list? I have a chasm a undergorund river and several Giant Cave Spiders so the list is already 2 pages long after the first year.

If there isnt a way to get rid of corpses listed will they aventuallt drop off the list. Im sure most of the bodies have decayed and disapered.

*edit* I thought Id save space and ask anouther question in the same post. Im selecting in a pocket world a 2x5 embark area(2 up down 5 left right). When I arrive the world seems more vertical then horizontal. I put this down to the tiles size. However since the magma vent I was searching for was on the very edge of the embark and I couldnt find it on this map I decided to abandon the fortress to see the reclaim site as a 5x3 (5 up down 3 left right) area. Also curiously a big zone of some other species settlement depicted next to it with the symbol dwarf fortress uses for stone.

Anyway the question: Does dwarf fortress change my embark area if it dosnt like it? and if it dosnt whats with the different covering area for the reclaim site?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:57:11 pm by Cryten »

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corpse List
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:28:12 pm »

For your first question; Nope, though there have been a lot of requests about either toggling off the dead or adding some kind of filter on the units screen so it may be coming. Basically just get used to scrolling down the units screen instead of up.
I have no clue about the second question.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:56:15 pm »

No clue what happened to you. As for the "big zone of some other species settlement," can you take a screenshot of it?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:55:33 pm »

Gday,

Here is the screenshot featuring the abandoned fortress I used to check that the 2x5 dimensions worked:

Not sure if this imageshack thing will work.

As you can see the recover and embark dimensions are considerably different.

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corpse List & DF changing civ embark dimensions.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:42 pm »

The Omegas are a (dwarf?) town. The dots would be a huge cave system I think.

Magma vents can sometimes be a few layers underground and not visible without cheating.  For example, I once started a 2x2 between a brook and a vent. After embarking, the only indication of the vent was a patch of sand among the woodlands I started in. A few levels down was the magma vent.

Defiant Zombie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:41:25 pm »

EDIT: Argh! Somehow I managed to reply to the wrong thread. Please disregard. I apologize.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:42:57 pm by Defiant Zombie »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:33:53 am »

The game won't resize it if you embarked.

You embarked on 3x5 last time. Omegas on map is your previous fort. Maybe when you hit embark last time there was some strange input to your keyboard (bug?) which caused your area to become 3x5.

Anyway the embark area you've shown now isn't related to your previous one anyway.
Your previous fort is shown with "omegas".

Also curiously a big zone of some other species settlement depicted next to it with the symbol dwarf fortress uses for stone.
Reply:
I have a chasm
And a cave system.

However since the magma vent I was searching for was on the very edge of the embark and I couldnt find it on this map
It's underground, maybe on the lowest levels.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:35:43 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »

I'm playing this seed too, so much fun.

But I noticed something similar too, if you play a skinny area, doesn't the map data get compressed into a square?  So a 2x5 takes the map gen data and stretches it out to fill a 5x5 space?
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:07:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure it just stretches the way the minimap shows up, not the actual terrain.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.