Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you tick off the chasm?  (Read 1250 times)

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you tick off the chasm?
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

I am currently on my 8th fortress, my most enduring being 1070.  It is a sinister desert map.  I have had several short span settlements during my learning period and a few that I have played into the late 1060's.  In all of them I have never had a real threat from the chasm, at most 1-2 batmen from time to time but usually just sole ambushers.  I have never even seen a rat or ant man.

I long to be invaded and hassled by these depth dwelling deviants but it never seems to be.  I have tried flooding them, burning them and burying them in waste, filth, junk and assorted rot.  Including the bodies of a full goblin siege, which I tossed in only after I had waited for a more or less uniform miasma level.  Is their anger meeter totally random after all?

I don't seem to have problems getting the rare invaders.  On this map alone I have had a visit from 2 colossus, 3 titans and a dragon.  Any thoughts?

http://l052.mybrute.com Come and meet my dwarf eating bear

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: How do you tick off the chasm?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

I've read somewhere that it have something to do with the prosperity level (wealth) of your fortress. Usually, I didn't get much attacks from the chasm... But on my last fortress, which was my most successfull to date... I had to nuke them because they became such a nuisance that they were actually threatening the fort from the inside...

I also wished a lot of times to have something interesting happening to my fort... But more often than not, when it finnaly happen it hardly fit in your original plans.  :)

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

My current created wealth is around 3.3mil with a population of 180.  I'm not sure how that stacks up though as I haven't ever paid much attention to it.  I just build want I want/need and usually to heck with the nobles.  

As for trade... I have only just started to mass produce expensive home grown goods in an attempt to boost the forts reputation for adventure time, till recently I just unloaded 100's of goblin items every caravan since my dwarves are always knee deep in their leavings.

About how high was your wealth/exports when you noticed a change from the chasm?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:59:00 am »

Personally I had nuked them pretty much early, it only takes a few minutes of magma (if you do it well) to kill off everyone; and never saw any attacks...

Try magma with only 1 square of contact, it might make them angry and not kill them as quickly.

[ August 10, 2007: Message edited by: Haedrian ]

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:34:00 am »

Or water them down... I don't think it would kill them much, but it's bound to get their attention fast.  :p

I already abandoned the fort I was talking about, so I can't really give you real numbers... Sorry for that.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:34:00 am »

code:

====..###..====
====..###..====
=__X..###..X__=
=_==+++++++==_=
X_____________X
=_==+++++++==_=
=_==..###..==_=
.%....%%%....%.
.%....%%%....%.
.%....%%%....%.
=_====###====_=
=__X..###..X__=
====..###..====
====..###..====

= wall
_ channel
# chasm
. ground
+ aquaduct
% bridge
X floodgate

For maximum efficiency, mine a 2 square wide corridor along both sides of the chasm.

Opening the left floodgate will result in water entering the chasm at as many areas as possible.

Opening the right floodgate will result in large amounts of lava entering the chasm, killing it in minutes.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:18:00 am »

All you should need to do to piss off the chasm dwellers is throw lots of refuse down there. However, water also works amazingly well.

However, if no chasm creatures show up after doing either of these, then you may not have a 'chasm civilization' in that map. This has happened to me, in that the chasm contained no bat/rat/or ant men in a map, and only giant rats and giant moles spawned from there.

Gask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

That may be it, I have been dumping water into the chasm for several hours now + hundreds of trash items and bodies.  The only things I have seen have been moles, gremlins, rats and trolls in ambush mode.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

yeah, i dont think the critters increase when you dump crap on them.  you only get increasing raids from the "civilizations".  

also, i dont think wealth has an impact.  I had a fort that was as wealthy as any of the great forts (had the king and exhausted all the gold and platinum in the mountain to make furniture for the nobles) but never had any significant raids.  there was an occasional random batman encounter, but nothing serious.  of course, i never chasmed anything with that fort.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

I remember one time, when I had a cool channel of water running along either side of my main hallway, and when I hit the chasm, I did something like this...

code:

@@@@@@@@@####
~~~~~~~~~~###
'.,`..,@@####
..,.,'.@@####
`',.'`'@@####
~~~~~~~~~~###
%%%%%%%%%####

I never got any attacks, strangely...  Later, I ruined that set-up and threw magma in there.  That made them mad, and I ended up abandoning that fortress.  Next time, I'll be prepared and do that with more than some thirty-odd dwarves in my entire fortress...

[ August 10, 2007: Message edited by: Dreamer ]

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

mazjin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:44 am »

you guys are crazy who would want to tick off the chasm? i just made a fort and the map threw a ambush giant cave spider within 5 minutes! luckily no dwarves have died yet

on another note chasms will no longer spawn anything
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:59:31 am by mazjin »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:00:22 am »

Please look at the date before resurrecting old threads.  These folks are discussing the chasm from the 2D version.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:46 pm »

So will channeling a brook into a chasm spawn more nasties that I can cage, then?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:27 pm »

No
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.