Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Hard Mode  (Read 2601 times)

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Hard Mode
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 01:16:10 pm »

That also prevents them from throwing parties it seems.
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 03:32:31 pm »

They won't throw parties in a dining room, but if you designate it as a meeting hall, they will.

Oh and very nice story OP. I'd be tempted to take the same challenge, except my current fortress is already barely maintaining its population thanks to getting massive sieges every year. At least my military (which has mostly stayed alive) is all hardened or doesn't care anymore, so they shouldn't tantrum. :)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 09:06:15 pm »

I never make dining rooms...It takes up a lot of room
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:47:07 am »

My own attempt at a hard mode:

Glacier with 2 sinister biomes. Promise of a magma pocket. No liquid water. Only brought 5 dogs, 1 crossbow and some bolts, and the rest is food and non-fighting stuff.

First frame of the game i have a pack of 8 ice wolves engaging my people. All the dogs died, the civvie with the crossbow didn't have the calm to pick up bolts so he hammered the wolves to death. Lost 4 dwarves.

Loading that starting save again, i have managed a start where i lose only 2 dogs and get only light wounds on the dwarves. It seems the better approach is to recruit the dwarves after the dogs are on the wolves, but before the dogs are dead. Tricky.

Absolutelly no water. I start digging around a big block of ice to drop a few z levels. It is a mighty operation that took 2 years. It is 4 z-levels of ice, 9x9 in size, dropping 9 z-levels. I even went to the trouble of building a roof over it. And when it drops, it barely melts, i get 1 z-level of liquid water and that's it, the rest is still ice. I quickly build my farm near where that liquid water ended and pump it over the rock. We have muddy rock and we may yet live! Unfortunatelly, that consumed all the little liquid water i made with the ice drop.

After much digging i had yet to find any metal. I finally found copper and a tiny bit of hematite. The magma pocket is quite small and i fear that if i fill up a hot bed 1 z-level below another ice cube, i won't have magma to power the buildings.

On the bright side, there are 2000 ice wolf bone bolts on our stocks. I am at 28 dwarves (was at 28 when i built the farm!), 8 of them are military. Once i was able to have them armed and ready, the ice wolves have been manageable. In the first year, i could only go out when the caravans would clear them up.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 10:49:18 am »

I forgot to say that 8 dwarves have died so far.
Pages: 1 [2]