Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Husbandry & Pet-Proof Doors  (Read 601 times)

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Husbandry & Pet-Proof Doors
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

I've been messing around with a few different ideas I thought might allow me to get food from the ten or so cows that are wandering around inside and outside my fortress, none of which have worked so far. What's the trick? I've got a Butcher and a workshop for him to go about his bloody business, but requests to slaughter an animal return a red cancellation of task message.

One other thing I've been wondering about is whether it's intended that pets can walk through "pet-proof" doors as long as someone else is already walking through them. This has some unfortunate side-effects, like full-grown cows not only being inside my fortress, but being stuck inside a pet-proof bedroom because they followed their owner in and weren't quick enough leaving. As it is, almost all of the above mentioned cows are inside my fortress rather than outside because they followed the migrants in when they first arrived and the front door is almost constantly open from the comings and goings anyway.

Tips?

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Husbandry & Pet-Proof Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »

If there's not a suitable body in the refuse pile, then you do have to designate an animal for butchering by [z]->Animals->.

I am waiting for the addition of messages like "the innocent cow looks at you with sad, luminous eyes, are you sure [y/n}" hehe.

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gimlet:
<STRONG>If there's not a suitable body in the refuse pile, then you do have to designate an animal for butchering by [z]->Animals->.
</STRONG>

Excellent, thanks. Any way to detach people from the cows that have taken to following them around as pets? "Sorry Annie, the family needs the delicious meat of which your friend is made," and all that.

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »

Yeah, I think pets can walk through "keep tightly closed" doors when they are open briefly.  It does lead to pets being trapped.

You can't butcher pets yet.  Seems like it should be an option, though the negative thoughts could be intense.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!