Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jeweler stays in workshop not producing anything  (Read 1000 times)

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
Jeweler stays in workshop not producing anything
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:51:39 pm »

I have this Jeweler in his workshop. Right next to the workshop, there's a small depot with four rough sapphires, and another depot not too far with many more various rough gems.
For the longest time, Jeweler stayed in his workshop not producing anything, being hungry and thirsty.
I tried destroying the workshop and have him rebuild it, but he still didn't do anything in the workshop afterwards.

But now, he has gone into a fey mood, still locked up in the workshop, being hungry and thirsty.
He is requesting rough gems, while the pile next to him is full of the best ones I have.
I put a door on his workshop entrance, just in case he goes berserk and I need to lock him in there.

I'm fairly new to DF, so maybe I'm not using the Workshop properly.

Update:
Well now he's become berserk, but still doesn't leave is workshop  :-\

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:13:51 pm by Redhades »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Jeweler stays in workshop not producing anything
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:20:04 pm »

Did you perchance build a 3x3 room with the door to the right of the workshop?  Is it the same jeweler that built the workshop?

Jewelers workshops block all 3 tiles on their right side.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:39:07 pm »

Did you perchance build a 3x3 room with the door to the right of the workshop?  Is it the same jeweler that built the workshop?

Jewelers workshops block all 3 tiles on their right side.

Oh really? That must be it then.
Why is it like that?
Are there any other workshops that block the way like that?

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:43:21 pm »

Yeah I noticed this happening as well jeweler gets trapped and starves to death. Luckily I noticed soon enough to have him survive.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:57:14 pm »

Dark-green X's when placing workshops (or any construction, really) are impassable.

This comes up often enough that it's worth considering adding a note in the workshop construction UI.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:07:41 am »

Dark-green X's when placing workshops (or any construction, really) are impassable.

This comes up often enough that it's worth considering adding a note in the workshop construction UI.

Or people could read the in game manual:

Nah... ;)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside