Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random trivia: Adamantine  (Read 1732 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Random trivia: Adamantine
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Via Wikipidia: Adamant and similar words are used to refer to any especially hard substance, whether composed of diamond, some other gemstone, or some type of metal. Both adamant and diamond derive from the Greek word αδαμας (adamas), meaning "untameable". Adamantite and adamantium (a metallic name derived from the Neo-Latin ending -ium) are also common variants.

Throughout ancient history, "adamantine" referred to anything that was made of a very hard material. Virgil describes Tartarus as having a screeching gate protected by columns of solid adamantine (Aeneid book VI). Later, by the Middle Ages, the term came to refer to diamond, as it was the hardest material then known, and remains the hardest non-synthetic material known.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Random trivia: Adamantine
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

SHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's no such thing as A******** in Dwarf Fortress!!!
Don't go spreading filthy rumors like that!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:07:47 pm »

Apparently Africa has never too deep'd.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:49:44 pm »

Or maybe they have...

Ever wonder why they won't just call it quits, kiss, and make it up to each other?

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:48:37 pm »

Or maybe they have...

Maybe IRL HFS is more... subtle. You know, war, famine, plague, death, plausibly natural/human stuff instead of tentacles, fire, and the like.

Actually, that sort of HFS in DF would be worse, because most people would have no idea... all of a sudden their brook would dry up, magma would overflow, food would spoil rapidly, plagues of vermin would appear, tame animals would attack dwarves, nobles would start making (more) insane demands and hammering dwarves for petty reasons, dwarves would go berserk without warning, merchants would feel a desire to tell everyone your fort needs to be invaded, and all your moods would be Possessed.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:09:28 pm »

That would be an awesome consequence for mining too much adamantine.. Huh.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 04:45:54 pm »

Or maybe they have...

Maybe IRL HFS is more... subtle. You know, war, famine, plague, death, plausibly natural/human stuff instead of tentacles, fire, and the like.

Actually, that sort of HFS in DF would be worse, because most people would have no idea... all of a sudden their brook would dry up, magma would overflow, food would spoil rapidly, plagues of vermin would appear, tame animals would attack dwarves, nobles would start making (more) insane demands and hammering dwarves for petty reasons, dwarves would go berserk without warning, merchants would feel a desire to tell everyone your fort needs to be invaded, and all your moods would be Possessed.

Wait, I'm confused... aside from the brook drying up, how is any of that different from normal game play? ;)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »

It would be normal gameplay tenfold.
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »

MOAR ETYMOLOGY THREADS PLS. I'm serious
Anyway, I like to think that I worked out Adamantine's roots by myself. Mostly because it is the word "adamant" and then a metaly sounding suffix.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:40 am »

Yeah that would pretty much be a normal day in the fortress.

Which makes me wonder if it's the surface world that's horrible, and when we too deep they just desperately want to keep us out of their utopia.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 12:23:25 pm »

Yeah that would pretty much be a normal day in the fortress.

Which makes me wonder if it's the surface world that's horrible, and when we too deep they just desperately want to keep us out of their utopia.

It's a utopia to them because they're [FIREIMMUNE].
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »

It's adamantine because of Toady's last name, Adams, right? Not from some other reference.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:58:10 pm »

It's obviously based off the cartoon character Adam Ant. Duh.  :P

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 11:36:04 pm »