Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Demons  (Read 1780 times)

bergotronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demons
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 09:38:13 am »

What happens if the "Spirirt of Fire" and all his buddies meet a 7/7 wall of water moving at high speed?

Steamed?

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 09:53:02 am »

What happens if the "Spirirt of Fire" and all his buddies meet a 7/7 wall of water moving at high speed?

Steamed?

You get a lot of steam and some mildly annoyed spirits of fire. And probably some heavily scalded dwarves.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 02:38:14 pm »

Has anyone considered redirecting a siege to encounter the demons? Has anyone done it?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 03:12:47 pm »

Has anyone considered redirecting a siege to encounter the demons? Has anyone done it?

Cage traps?

Releasing the gobbos while not letting the demons out could be an issue - can any demons fly?

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »

Releasing the gobbos while not letting the demons out could be an issue - can any demons fly?

!!HFS!! can fly if I remember right.

Edit: As I looked around the raws, I noticed !!HFS!!'s have [FLIER] tag; so yes, they do fly. The horror. Good thing the other demons can't fly.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:30:18 pm by Silu »
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 03:34:44 pm »

Just find the outer edge of the pits, halt mining efforts, and then send one useless dwarf outside with a pick.

Tell him to dig a staircase (or something) down until he reaches the level you suspect the pits are on.  Get him to dig in towards it while avoiding adamantine (the pits are not completely surrounded by it, and this will prevent unnecessary waste). 

When he breaches the pits, you will release the demons into the outside world.  Simply seal off your fort's entrance and wait while they go on a rampage and attack everything that wanders in, which will have the added benefit of revealing all the demons that decide to attack. 

When a siege comes, the demons will be there.  When the elves come, the demons will be there.  Just wait them out until they're all dead or you have sufficient front-door defenses to deal with the demons yourself.

Oh, and [noadjective] demons can fly.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 04:03:38 pm »

Note:

You will have to seriously wall off your fortress. Floodgates and doors will not suffice. Nor will a moat.

You'll also have to figure out someway of building a roof over any outdoor areas (Greenglass!) without trapping any dwarves up there.

BTW: Typically there are 31 denizens of the deeps.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 04:29:06 pm »

Well, if you cage a bunch of gobbos, mine out a chamber near the demon pits, build the cages, and hook them up to a lever. Then make a little chamber/tunnel off it separated from the puts by one tile, and the gobbo hole by a door. Send an expendable miner into the hall, lock the door, and rewall off the whole thing, then release the gobbos, have the Expenda-Miner break through, and open the door.

It's a one-use setup, so you'd have to dig out another to sacrifice another load of gobbos to the lurking darkness, but it'll keep you safe without cutting off the outside world.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 07:40:58 pm »

Here's what you do...

Estimate the location of the pits.  Then, dig straight down from the surface in this pattern:
Code: [Select]
>__
X_#
X_#
X_#
X_#

Place a support at the very top, centered over the empty space next to each staircase.  Place a wall on top of the support, and remove all other connections.

Continue this down until you breach the pit from the top.  The demons should be able to climb up the shaft even though there's no staircase on their level.  Once they reach the top, their [BUILDINGDESTROYER] tag will kick in, and they will obliterate the support, causing the wall tile to fall.  It will crash through every empty level, sucking in all the demons currently making their way up the stairs.  Everybody will fall down and get damaged from the fall, which will (normally) be at least 15 z-levels.

If it doesn't kill all of them, it will at least severely wound most of them.  It does, however, rely on a couple assumptions...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 08:37:34 pm »

You'll also have to figure out someway of building a roof over any outdoor areas (Greenglass!) without trapping any dwarves up there.

Flying critters will only fly over walls if they have a valid ground path to their destination, for some reason. So if you've totally walled yourself off, you shouldn't have to ceiling yourself off too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 09:18:01 pm »

Out of curiosity, is it CUSTOMARY to get dozens of insane, babbling humans and elves and dwarves in the pit along with the demon?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 09:37:50 pm »

Out of curiosity, is it CUSTOMARY to get dozens of insane, babbling humans and elves and dwarves in the pit along with the demon?

I ahaven't reached the pits yet, but from what I heard yes.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Gamesguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 09:40:15 pm »

Well, I backed up my save and tried it with the ballistas.  I dug a long tunnel out on the bottom level. built a ballista at the end of the tunnel with a little alcove in the middle where I stationed my champions(behind a locked door so i can control when they go engage the demons).

Then I sent a suicide dwarf out to dig around till he finds the pit.  Found the pit, first ballista arrow took out like random elves and dwarves and some frog demons, second shot fired when the demons reached my champions and engaged them, killed about half my champions and a bunch of demons, at that point my legendary siege operator decided to go take a nap and left(whops).   All my regular champions died when the spirits of fire showed up, and my adamantium clad uberdwarve managed to kill about half of the rest before he lost his head(literally).

I'm thinking I couldve won that with a bit more planning, perhaps drafting half my dwarves into marsksdwarves and stationing them at the end of the tunnel behind fortifications.

My uberdwarf is really uber, he was a freaking god of battle that slaughters entire sieges singlehandedly without a scratch, he probably killed more demons than the rest of my military(including the ballista) combined.
Pages: 1 [2]